• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Koolyomka (siberian deadfall trap)

Mark in a given survival scenario I don't really think that there will be to many inspectors out and about checking your traps or methods of taking game, and controversially in a survival situation sheep and lambs become game and I sure as hell won't have an abattoire in my back pocket

very true joe, but would being caught using a bow or building traps be considered a criminal act, in a survival situation and would this be something one would have to prove if criminal proceedings where in forced?

(Slight detour)
I’ve often wondered when reading threads like this on the view of survival, if lost in the uk (unlikely I know however) what would the view be on trapping or hunting with a makeshift bow and arrow to survive until rescue or self rescue 🤷🏼‍♂️

would traps like mentioned above be looked at as necessary and special leniency giving ?

or like uk knife laws , there may be grey areas
I doubt that you'd get away with it if caught but then again I doubt you'd get caught if you were so far off the beaten track that you needed to hunt...however the U.K. simply isn't big enough to get lost enough to make it necessary.
Certainly not going to get away with it in Scotland where they're very tough when it comes to wildlife. There are no grey areas in the legislation.

Last edited:
very true joe, but would being caught using a bow or building traps be considered a criminal act, in a survival situation and would this be something one would have to prove if criminal proceedings where in forced?
In my opinion no Mark because you can build yourself an 8" howitzer but until you fire it no law has been broken. Look at it this way thousands of folk including you and I have crafted our own knives which in them selves are harmless until you carry it in public, then and only then has the law been broken

Back