• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Kuksa

My First kuksa split on me to.....boiling in salt water seems to be a done thing. Also a read steeping it in salt water for a few days then let it dry and wipe veg oil on it. Will be trying one of these myself soon .

fwiw i've got my first couple kuksas drying out in the shop and __didn't__ opt for the salt water boil technique. i'd heard that there were other, less "flavourful", methods.
in particular i found this:

long story short: wrap the kuksa (i'm assuming here you carved it from green wood as i did) tightly in clean paper of some sort, pack it in a cardboard box with lots more paper and set it aside in a cool dry place.
after a couple days unpack the whole thing, re-wrap the kuksa in "fresh" paper -- in other words not the exact same paper you had wrapped the kuksa in before -- and repeat the above. basically you are cycling the paper so you don't develop molds or suchlike.
i'm about a month into the process with my two kuksas -- now wrapping and re-packing once a week -- and so far so good. the paper appears to have slowed down the drying process enough that even though the wood has warped a bit here and there there are no cracks or splits.
one of the kuksas actually feels pretty dry to the touch at this point but i'll continue for another month just to be on the safe side.
i'm also using the same method to dry out a couple small burls i was able to acquire fresh off the tree. same results (so far).

in case anyone is interested i've discovered that a poor man's way of checking how well the drying is going is to weigh the kuksa -- or whatever wood thing you are drying -- each time you unpack it. when the weight doesn't change from one week to the next over the span of a few weeks you know you're getting pretty close to a dry kuksa (or whatever). i use the same trick for spoons and walking sticks. you do need a scale that can measure a few % change in weight reasonably accurately.
once the weight of your thing is stable and relatively unchanging you can start looking at the oil and sanding process.

next time i've got my kuksas out for some fresh air i'll take photos and post here.

Thanks @teef
I rushed. Harvested the wood last week, carved it over a few days, sanded and oiled it yesterday, put hot coffee in it this morning. My own fault rushed the whole thing. Made this one 3 years ago and not had a problem.
1585241164719334788357.jpg

beautiful work! lovely choice of wood. looks like you used birch burl, yes?
also, nice touch with the darker wood for contrast. was that for aesthetics alone or an inspired necessity to thicken up the handle?
I honestly don't know what wood it is, it was a washed up log off the beach. It was to thicken the handle, that bit I know is oak☺

those kuksas-in-progress that i mentioned above, using the "paper drying" method:

IMG_20200327_215826_2-cropped-w800.jpg

the pale one at the top was carved from green Beech root. unfortunately it has that streak of bark inclusion which i haven't figured out how to deal with yet.
the one at the bottom was carved from an Ash (?) burl. those aren't cracks on the rim, just a bit of rough from the unfinished carving process.

as previously described i'm drying these by wrapping them in clean packing paper stuffed in a cardboard box with loads more paper for absorbancy. the idea is that they'll dry slowly and evenly and thereby avoid cracking. the Beech root one is almost dry. so far so good.

... I would be inclined to leave the bark strip as it is because it gives it a nice rustic natural look

it does indeed and i too like the look of it. unfortunately it isn't solid and has shrank a lot more than the surrounding wood. it's now fragmented and loose at the bowl lip and edge. i had thought of stabilizing it with epoxy but that's not exactly food safe so ... not sure what to do.

the kuksa itself is very pleasant to look at and hold, i quite like it. that's why i decided to proceed with the drying, hoping that i'd find a solution to the bark problem.

Hi Teef.

You could try carefully brushing in some thinned down PVA so it soaks into and through the bark strip to stabilise and secure it.
when the first coat is dry.....add a further thicker but still thinned coat?

it does indeed and i too like the look of it. unfortunately it isn't solid and has shrank a lot more than the surrounding wood. it's now fragmented and loose at the bowl lip and edge. i had thought of stabilizing it with epoxy but that's not exactly food safe so ... not sure what to do.

the kuksa itself is very pleasant to look at and hold, i quite like it. that's why i decided to proceed with the drying, hoping that i'd find a solution to the bark problem.
OK mate just scrape it out nice and clean and use a dark oak or similar wood filler then sand id back.Most of the fillers should be food safe

Back