• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Landrover "three Amigo,s "

Matt

Site Owner
Staff member

if you own a discovery 2 you will be familiar with the three Amigo,s ..... (TC, HD, ABS) lights coming on as warning lights on the dash when driving along .... ive not had this issue before and when it started a few weeks ago i thought it was down to the water leaking into the cabin ... so after plugging the the landy in a fault code came up as " front right speed sensor"

so jacked it up and guess what guys and girls ... osf wheel bearing got play in it so a new bearing is on its way :D

Treated it to a wash today... Scrubs up well for 17yrs old
IMG_20190419_152941.jpg

Few new bits fitted to the Land rover... Installed a DAB radio this week :) doing a wheel bearing today at work... Getting ready for the mot in a few weeks time

Looking at the news today, the new replacement for the Defender will be build in Slovakia...another British icon flushed down the pan.

i have decided to fit new front disc,s and pads to the landy this weekend as when doing the bearing i noticed they were 2/3 worn .... that way they will be good for a couple years ...got a deal on them through the trade account at work £110 including vat for both disks and a set of decent pads 👍

The landrover saga continues ..... driving to work on Saturday morning the oil light comes on :eek:.... the TD5 engine has a chain driven oil pump with a cog on the front which is held tight with a bolt (no key way ) ... so in landrovers totally half assed fashion when building the engines they didnt put lock tight thread lock on the bolt :rolleyes:
so what happens is the bolt works loose enough for the cog to spin but not turn the pump shaft ....thus loss of oil pressure ...

luckily for me i spotted it in an instant and killed the engine before any damage was done :thumbsup:

so ive now got to drop the sump and thread lock said bolt with in an inch of its life .... landrover is at this moment locked away at work so cant do anything over this long weekend :(

will get it recovered to my parents house tomorrow (as they have a garage 👍) and then start stripping it tomorrow evening when i finish work .... will order a new sump gasket and a new replacement bolt and some decent thread lock ....

luckily for me im able to use the works van for a few days while i get the landy fixed .... wasnt to keen to leave the works van with all the tools in on the moors while me and @WildWood1965 were camping thats why we had to cut the trip short and come home :thumbsup:

So new bits were delivered to work today so after work nipped up to dads garage and started taking the sump down :) an hour or so latter the issue was apparent the oil pump bolt had worked loose and was catching on the inside of the sump till the head of the bolt snapped off and then i lost drive to the oil pump :(...so new bolt fitted (with lock tight thread lock ) refitted the sump filled with oil and its as good as new :thumbsup::D

So new bits were delivered to work today so after work nipped up to dads garage and started taking the sump down :) an hour or so latter the issue was apparent the oil pump bolt had worked loose and was catching on the inside of the sump till the head of the bolt snapped off and then i lost drive to the oil pump :(...so new bolt fitted (with lock tight thread lock ) refitted the sump filled with oil and its as good as new :thumbsup::D
good news mate :thumbsup:

Well done mate ! :thumbsup:

So got to my fathers garage this evening drained of the flushing oil topped up with fresh oil and a dose of slick 50 engine treatment ,,,just been for a drive around the block and then home would like to report all good 👍,,,disaster averted :)

Back