• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Leather craft

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Was thinking on trying something new and came across this on amazon......

50 Pieces Leather Tools Kit, Leather Tools and Supplies, Leather Working Kits Supplies with Leather Tool Box Prong Punch Edge Beveler Wax Threads Needles Perfect for Stitching Punching Cutting Sewing 50 Pieces Leather Tools Kit, Leather Tools and Supplies, Leather Working Kits Supplies with Leather Tool Box Prong Punch Edge Beveler Wax Threads Needles Perfect for Stitching Punching Cutting Sewing: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

would this be alright as a beginner set ?

That is a cracking kit to get started Mark :thumbsup:

Be aware it is very addictive......but an absolute pleasure to do:)
You can buy loads of scrap leather on Evil bay that are ideal for starting out.
Probably best to start out with 2 to 3 mill Veg Tan leather....easier to work and will take gentle tooling.
Take time when making patterns and templates it will save you hours of work and wasted leather :thumbsup:

If you go for it......look forward to seeing some of your project mate :thumbsup:

@1 shot willie

what leather dye do you use mate ? Also glue lol

Hi Mark.
I use Fiebings leather dye SPIRIT BASED....... Glue I use Bostic contact adhesive...... Be sure to carefully score both edges you need to glue together.... Will come apart if you don't.
You will use a lot of dye..... You can buy water based..... Not my choice though mate. :)

The Identity store is a good place to order from when you want more Higher grades or different types of leather.... Buckles..... Rivets and upgrade/addition of more tools :thumbsup:

Cheers bill... I will have a look at that place mate👍🏻 A think I will take your advice and use spirit based, I’ve been watching endless videos on sheath making😳 what sparked me of was my carving knifes and not liking the plastic sheath on one and the spoon knife doesn’t have one. So that’s my first project 😁

it will take a couple of weeks to gather the tools, and leather etc ,

Looking forward to it Mark, if you get right into it you can make us all a set of lederhosen for the next Scottish get together.....

source.gif

Attachments

• source.gif
    source.gif
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Back