• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Expired Leather Overstrike

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Day

Slightly Addicted
Im looking to 'commission' (sounds fancy doesnt it!) a piece of leather work from one of you fine chaps.
I want an overstrike for my GFB Scandinavian Forest axe, ive seen a few handmade ones on evilbay but non quite fit the bill an most are designed for the Small Forest Axe.
Also, if Im going to hand over beer tokens Id much rather I new who they were going too!
Anyone fancy taken up the challenge?

This is one of those things where a bit of debate creeps in. I'm not a fan of them because they can conceal damage while others love them for the look and feel that they give a quality axe.
Either way they're very easy to make to the exact fit of the handle, if you have the axe to hand. Without the axe to work to there is a bit of guesswork.
Ask Bill if he'll do a tutorial. He knows his stuff.

This is a really easy make with minimum tools and skills needed to complete.
Materials can be sourced on Ebay.......3mm Veg Tan leather.....off cut size.............. to suit the project......+ leather bootlace.
As @Ystranc says........having the axe in hand removes the guesswork.

Rather than me, prattle on......here is a clip of how to go about it.......the shape of your overstrike is down to your own preference and imagination.

This has reminded me................... I need to make one for my Wildlife hatchet....still not got around to it :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dib dib!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back