• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Leaving a trace..

saxonaxe

Very Addicted
Taking advantage of the warm sunshine in the wood I went for a couple of hours wander. Keeping to the shelter of the wood it is warm, but out in the open although the sun is shining the East wind has a cold bite.
Cut into an old stone seat in a clearing in the wood is this inscription.
DSCF6573.JPG

DSCF6574.JPG

12 Royal Tank Regiment and below the date..1941.
I know troops were stationed in the old Manor House, demolished in the 1970's, during and after the War. 12th RTR were formed as a hostilities only Regiment as a war contingency. I hope whoever carved the inscription made it home. The 12th fought in North Africa, Italy and later mainland Europe.

Nearby is a small marker, I'm guessing Victorian era and possibly the burial place of a favourite Dog or other pet. When my knees allow me to be a bit more flexible I shall get down and clean off what remains of a very feint inscription, and report back...
DSCF6572.JPG

Snow Drops in full bloom.
DSCF6570.JPG

A fallen tree refusing to surrender 😊 Notice how the new growth has grown vertical from the fallen trunk and obviously judging by the size of the upright growth this process has been going on for some considerable time.
DSCF6571.JPG

Ramsons making the wood smell like a French kitchen

DSCF6575.JPG

Tea time ! No brew kit today, just a flask and a view of the top end of the lake.
DSCF6579.JPG
DSCF6578.JPG

Before I left home I filled the slow cooker with veg and anything else I could find lurking in the fridge...Opening the front door on my return home made me think I might even be a cook...Well it smells nice anyway...the verdict on taste has yet to be judged...😆

A need out 😞 always a pleasure sax 👍🏻 Seems your getting out more and more, legs must be healing by the day

Reactions: Bam
Great pics and write up. I like the fallen/growing tree. Make a nice seat with an open fire in front and tarp along the back. Depending on wind direction of course......

Back