• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Legal knife requirement

Not quite as legal but justifiable as bushcraft knives.
image.jpeg

I like the orange handled Hultfors knife as its impossible to lose and even if I did it was only £5

Lovelife82, in the end it's mainly about what you want to use the knife for. Each knife has its own strengths and weaknesses, I justify carrying a fixed blade knife because I do a lot of shooting and a fixed blade is much easier to keep clean while a folding knife or lock knife has a lot more little crevices that mean its unsuitable for food hygiene. All stainless knives can go through a dish washer while high carbon steel knives need to be carefully washed and dried. On my older high carbon knives I even wipe them over with saw wax before storing them.
Thick blades are great for doing rough stuff but rubbish for slicing up your veg, thin high carbon blades such as on the Opinel are good for fine work but brittle.

If you plan to go hiking with camping equipment you should be very careful with the weight of the stuff you buy.

Most camping equipment you see in the shops or internet now a days is made to transport it with a car to a camping ground.

There is only a smaller part of offers that is made for hiking, that means lightweight.

And if you plan to go with two women, you have to be far more carefull with the weight, than a young man.

This thread here is mainly written for single hikers. If you want, we can recommend you a few things you need for two persons.
But to understand the problem, you should read this!

Go for the Mora, the Opinel has a locking blade and and is not as strong as the Mora. The Opinel is a good pocket knife, a pen knife but the Mora is a more robust knife.

Bear in mind that just about everyone on a campsite will have some sort of fixed blade knife as a piece of their kitchen/cooking supplies and I'm sure police would never have an issue with this.
Just be sensible. Buy the Mora or a Hultfors and pack it in the bottom of your pack.
Only wear it on your belt if you're wild camping and nobody else is around.

One of the uses of a fixed blade knife as opposed to a folder is for splitting wood (battoning) for kindling and as such it's a tool not a weapon.

Technically just about anything could be classed as a weapon. A screwdriver, mallet, tent pole, tent peg!. It's all down to intent and if a policeman can see that you have a valid reason for having a fixed blade in your pack he'll be OK with it. Of course, there will always be exceptions. Police are human and some humans are idiots. :)

Back