• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lekto Hardwood Heat Logs

1 shot willie

Very Obsessed
Been thinking about the Bungalow 2.......and using the "Gelert BBQ fire pit"..... or my "Firebox" with it. ........not used either one with the shelter yet.

Wanted something fairly smokeless.....no additives.......almost spark free with little chance of spitting.....and giving off a good heat.

So ordered a single box of these to try out.

Will more than likely cut them in half at first.....dont want too big a flame under the extended peak.

Going to use a 10 plate aluminium guard to shied the fire from most of any wind.....and act as a heat reflector.

These will be for use while camping from the car....you would not want to carry these very far :D

Been thinking about the Bungalow 2.......and using the "Gelert BBQ fire pit"..... or my "Firebox" with it. ........not used either one with the shelter yet.

Wanted something fairly smokeless.....no additives.......almost spark free with little chance of spitting.....and giving off a good heat.

So ordered a single box of these to try out.

Will more than likely cut them in half at first.....dont want too big a flame under the extended peak.

Going to use a 10 plate aluminium guard to shied the fire from most of any wind.....and act as a heat reflector.

These will be for use while camping from the car....you would not want to carry these very far :D

when you go to tesco,s mate they have these on the shelf :thumbsup:... not 100% sure on the price .... ive used some thing like them before ... they work well if you stuff a fire lighter down the hole and light the end :thumbsup:

1 word or warning with these type of logs :) you MUST keep them dry at all cost,s ..... soon as they get damp/wet they expand and turn into a pile of soggy saw dust

I once watched a machine that produced similar logs, although those ones came out as rectangles. Amazing to watch the sawdust and tiny shavings arrive in huge bulging sacks, go into the hopper and come out after compression as skinny little logs. :D

Not wanting to teach my granny to suck eggs or anything but splitting hardwoods like sycamore or ash down to thin pieces without any bark on and then setting them aside to dry for at least a year (two years is far better) will give you a hot, smokeless and natural fuel for a cooking fire.
I split all of my firewood green in order for it to dry faster.
Alternatively there is always lump wood charcoal or bio-char commonly made from willow.
In the end it's all about the air fuel mix and having the lowest possible moisture content.

Stroll on......quick posting from these people......logs turned up :thumbsup:

No time like the present......broke one in half and stuck it in the Fire box.
Been burning now for 10 minutes.
First thing I noticed was the lovely smell they give off while burning.

These things swell while burning and fill the internal space of the Firebox........not the ideal......the log is now smouldering and gone out......not enough air circulating to feed the flame.
When it goes out I will try breaking it down into smaller pieces and try again.
I know that these logs will be fine in the Gelert BBQ.......more space and more air.

Have another idea and option for the Firebox fuel.

Well..... Ive got nothing else to do :rofl::rofl:

IMG_20200505_135041.jpg

Was there much smoke? I'm always particularly conscious of the smoke from my chiminea heading towards neighbours that I actually like when it's burning.

Reactions: Bam
Was there much smoke? I'm always particularly conscious of the smoke from my chiminea heading towards neighbours that I actually like when it's burning.

Not much smoke at all while actually burning mate........but when it went out and started to smoulder.....yes.....there was some smoke......but it smelt bloody lovely :D

I recently purchased some very similar eco heat logs from a place called Pinewood Fuels. However, I need some "smokeless" logs.

Their Pini Kay logs were great in our chimenea and really good in our indoor fireplace, but they are quite pricey (£22 minimum for 24). Ideally, we want to use these in our outdoor pizza oven.

I know lekto are a similar price, but has anybody used a similar or better brand and seen good "smokeless results". Looking for free from chemicals, no additives firelogs at a low price. Or is it because they are 100% natural the costs go up?

Why is everything organic so expensive nowadays?

Pini-Kay-Eco-lOGS-294x300.jpg

Why is everything organic so expensive nowadays?

Partly because Organic is fashionable...An Lk 35 is an outdated surplus rucksack probably worth £15 in good condition...You will be very lucky to find one at three times the price, but they are fashionable courtesy of You Tube and Forums.
I've no doubt that regulations and standards that determine whether something is Organic or not add to the price, but I think that many Organic products are probably sold at high prices to cash in on the buyer's conscience.

Anyway Pini Kay logs are probably delivered in big 38 ton diesel lorries which spew enough exhaust fumes to kill every Hedgehog within 25 yards of the roadside verge...:rofl:

Not sure if or how smokeless they are but have you considered making your own logs out of paper? Would they do? Basically you mush paper up in water al-la paper mache style and then compress it to get the water out, dry and use, loads of YouTube videos on it.

Not sure if or how smokeless they are but have you considered making your own logs out of paper? Would they do? Basically you mush paper up in water al-la paper mache style and then compress it to get the water out, dry and use, loads of YouTube videos on it.

Yep.....seen them Al......too much of a faff for me personally :D........and anyway.....who buys news papers these days....(Jest) :D

I did find some peat balls/pellets and tried them out (thread on here somewhere )......they worked very well in the Firebox....only draw back.....they smoked like buggery when getting going.....mind you I think if I started with a lesser amount in the Firebox when getting it going it would be better......and build more from there.
They would be handy in the wet to get the heart of a fire going.
You would not want to take much along on a two nighter......its heavy stuff.......out the back of a car.....ideal.......throw a 25k bag in the back :)

To be honest I think for just a heat source and maybe a bit of cooking.......you cant beat a mix of Charcoal and wood pellets......tried and tested......it was just a bit of fun trying a different approach while using a small Firebox. :thumbsup:

The idea was for use with the One "Tegris Bungalow 2" and now maybe for the Khyam Biker plus" as well......both have low canopies so an actual flame and spitting/rising embers beneath in a larger fire pit like the "Gelerts" and "Yellowstone's"would not be the ideal.

A nice roaring bright flame is nice but not always necessary to keep warm :)

Nice Al :)......what have you got in mind....or are you still researching?
The "Winner well stoves" are nice and a couple have viewing windows in them......couple of Titanium offerings out there as well :thumbsup:

Back