• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lidl camping gear

Lidl and Aldi kit is no worse than Go Outdoors or Blacks etc and sometimes there is a real gem. :) I've got a Lidl lightweight tent that weighs just 1.5 kg and packs tiny. It is as good if not better than tents 10 times the price. The only problem now is that I'm too old and creaky to get in and out of it otherwise I would still be using it.

Cheers for the heads up👍🏻

Am a self confessed kit tart :D but I do like a bargain and as brambling said. Sometimes you find a gem... a bought a little fishing tub full of lures out of Lidl a wile back (still have it ) and they are great lures.

Am a self confessed kit tart :D but I do like a bargain and as brambling said. Sometimes you find a gem... a bought a little fishing tub full of lures out of Lidl a wile back (still have it ) and they are great lures.
Thats great Mark, all you have to do now is learn how to catch fish:p:lol:

I'm having to pull my head in on the shiny shiny as I'm pauper boy, it ain't easy. :(

Cheers to the OP for flagging it though.

Last year most lidl camping stuff didn't really convince me.

In my opinion you make the better deal if you buy the both Decathlon jackets I recommended and use one as a pillow under the head and put one additional to the German folding mat under your sleeping bag in the bivvy.

That's more versatile and the lighter and more compact option. An additional sleeping mat is a good option in sub zero conditions, but next to the fire a second German folding mat is better than an air mat. AND it's more compact.

If you don't want to go camping in the snow German folding mat and additional jacket are warm enough and if you look for soft ground, grass or forest earth, its comfortable enough too, so long you are younger than 50 years.

There are ultra light insulating airmats on the market, made by "therm a rest" , which are 1/3 of weight and packing volume of the lidl airmats. They are expensive, but worth the money for hiking in winter times.

I bought my first insulating mat when I was 40 years old. Until then, I just slept on a poncho or in the bivvy on the jacket and took in very cold weather a woollen blanket with me.

In my opinion airmats are ok for car campers on touristic camping grounds, where they sleep in tents and never next to a fire, necessary for mountain hikes higher than the tree border, where you can't put twigs under your mat for additional comfort and insulation, and ok for very experienced old bushcrafters, who are able to avoid sparks from the fire and have a bad back.

I think airmats are nonsense for young healthy men who go for wild camping in woodland.

I think the bulky lidl air mats are a waste of money, as well as the cooking camping stuff they offer. The tents usually aren't portable, they are to heavy and bulky.
If they really should offer a 1,5 kg tent it should be worth a trial. But as I wrote, I tried out the 20€ Decathlon tent Arpenaz 2 and can tell you, that it is a good tent for that price. It is tested very well.

In my opinion only the sleeping bags from lidl should be recommended for the beginning.

Back