• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Life in the UK after a a 10 year gap

Medwayman

Slightly Addicted
This morning whilst I was raking the grass up I realised that I have been in France now for 4 and half years and before that I was live in staff for my boss (he is now semi retired and he offered me my job here in France) for about the same time so pushing a ten year period. This is not my place and I came here to work on a suppose you could call it a "off grid" way of life as I do not have any bills of any kind but also don't have a wallet full of fifties, so for about a decade have I been living the easy life ??

Watching the news pretty much most mornings I think I can see that the UK has gone done hill in many ways, so i give you all a question

How has the UK changed in the last 10 Years

3 good
3 Bad

Joecole

Staff member
This morning whilst I was raking the grass up I realised that I have been in France now for 4 and half years and before that I was live in staff for my boss (he is now semi retired and he offered me my job here in France) for about the same time so pushing a ten year period. This is not my place and I came here to work on a suppose you could call it a "off grid" way of life as I do not have any bills of any kind but also don't have a wallet full of fifties, so for about a decade have I been living the easy life ??

Watching the news pretty much most mornings I think I can see that the UK has gone done hill in many ways, so i give you all a question

How has the UK changed in the last 10 Years

It hasn't changed much in my opinion

3 good
3 Bad
not a grea

Woodlander

Site Manager
Staff member
Gone to the dogs mate. Looked into moving to France myself a few years back. Apparently there's a camp community there and a charity that gives you €500 a month? But It was just a passing idea and was probably all bullocks

Ystranc

From my perspective it's not much different but if you wanted to move back to a city then you'd find that everything has gone sky high pricewise. Food has gone up and there is less variety then there was a few years back as stores look to improve their profit margins. The roads are busier and the music is instantly forgettable. Insurance and council tax have gone up...oh and the politicians all need locking up in a great big windowless padded cell to fight it out between themselves.

I know we're not perfect but there's a lot of good stuff in the UK that we take for granted, its still a great place to live although like most old buggers I'm critical of the low level stuff, antisocial behaviour etc. I have the odd run in with kids and scumbags that I rather wouldn't but my conscious won't let me pass by. We're still a large economy and I wouldn't say we're that different to 10 years ago. However.... after the inevitable uprising 'Generalisimo slant El Presidente' Bam's Utopic Republic will make a few tweaks to the current democratic regimes unjust diktats. It will be a more liberal open minded country and we won't need a prison service. No, the prison service will be put out to tender, I'm hearing good things about both Turkey and The Philippines, I think both would have a positive impact on reoffending, it would just come down to the backhander for the man in charge.... I mean, that's how it works apparently. :lol:

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
I know we're not perfect but there's a lot of good stuff in the UK that we take for granted, its still a great place to live although like most old buggers I'm critical of the low level stuff, antisocial behaviour etc. I have the odd run in with kids and scumbags that I rather wouldn't but my conscious won't let me pass by. We're still a large economy and I wouldn't say we're that different to 10 years ago. However.... after the inevitable uprising 'Generalisimo slant El Presidente' Bam's Utopic Republic will make a few tweaks to the current democratic regimes unjust diktats. It will be a more liberal open minded country and we won't need a prison service. No, the prison service will be put out to tender, I'm hearing good things about both Turkey and The Philippines, I think both would have a positive impact on reoffending, it would just come down to the backhander for the man in charge.... I mean, that's how it works apparently. :lol:

When you writing a book bam? A would read it :D

Medwayman

Slightly Addicted
I have on a few occasions sort of felt home sick in a way but I know that if I were to to return to the UK it would be in a house share on a zero hours contract or benefits and I would not have the option of doing anything that I can do here as much as I don't like it I think I am better of here still

Ystranc

It's not all doom and gloom Medwayman, you could probably find similar work with similar benefits over here if you looked, a buddy of mine has just well and truely landed on his feet as the warden of a chalet park, almost totally by chance. A wage for him and his eldest son plus family accommodation and the chance to earn a little extra on the side as well.