• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Life Jackets for fishing?

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Looking to buy a couple of life-jackets for when we intend to go fishing while down at the summer meet.
Probably fishing off the coast somewhere (recommendations?)

I've seen some fishing style life jackets on Amazon
e.g.
51btk10Uo4L._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

Lixada Fishing Life Vest - £23
Link: http://amzn.eu/dr9948Z

51skCuCg7EL._SL500_SS75_SS75_.jpg

Life Safety Jacket - £19
Link: http://amzn.eu/gimu82A

I know some of you fish, kayak, etc
Would these be decent options? I don't want to blow a lot on them as they may be seldom used but then I don't want to get anything that's useless.

Advice welcome :)

Looking to buy a couple of life-jackets for when we intend to go fishing while down at the summer meet.

e.g.

Life Safety Jacket - £19

Would these be decent options? I don't want to blow a lot on them as they may be seldom used but then I don't want to get anything that's useless.

Don't buy cheap on life jackets mate, 1 they won't hold up to the wear and tear 2 you might need it to keep you afloat for real.

I only use makes Ranger and Nookie.

My post timed out. . . .

there is a big difference between a life jacket and a personal flotation device (known as a PFD)

A life jacket is a life an automatic life saving floatations devise that does not require the wearer to be able to swim to prevent drowning, a PFD is a floatation aid devise, designed only to aid the wearers floatation whilst swimming or otherwise in the water.

A life jacket can either be an inflatable one (now days these ones usually self inflate when they detect water) or a non inflatable one, a life jacket is what it says, it a life jacket and to meet the current regulations of a life jacket it must keep wearer afloat with their head up out of the water un aided and even if they are unconscious, examples of a life jacket:
(note how they give buoyancy around the back of your neck, this will turn you over so you float on your back with your face out of the water)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

These are PFD jackets used mainly on jet skies, kayaks, sailing boats, dinghys, water skiers and by people fishing off piers and river banks etc the idea with the PFD's is that they aid your body's own buoyancy, you can wear them in the water and still have full movement ie. . . you can swim with them on and get in and out of boats etc easily (you can't do so with a traditional life jacket and an automatic self inflating life jacket for such activities is out the question as it will self inflate as soon as it detects water thus needing to be re packet and a new gas inflated cartridge fitted) I also like PFD jackets as they give your chest and back protection I've been thrown from a RIB boats a few times and on one occasion whilst beaching in rough sea the boat turned sideways and flipped landing upside down on top of me with the outboard slamming into my chest without a PFD jacket on my ribs would have been smashed to pieces, a PFD jacket has 2 inch thick buoyancy foam in all of the front and back. You can get basic no pocket, no frills PFD' and delux ones such as Delta and Ranger, but make sure it is at least 50N buoyancy that's the current CE standard and make sure it has at least one waist belt as well as the zip as if you trying to lift someone out of water by their PFD it won't rip open and slip off with a waist belt ;) my advise is to stay away from what you've seen and posted above.

Avoid this style with no waist belt:

image.jpeg

these look good and tempting but no waist belt :mad:

image.jpeg

Look for these type:

image.jpeg

Delta ranger and nookie I use and posted in the forum:

https://www.thebushcraftforum.uk/threads/delta-ranger-pfd-life-jacket.4987/

https://www.thebushcraftforum.uk/threads/nookie-explorer-2-pfd.6062/#post-64528

Timed out again lol.

I view your Amazon links, cleaver marketing,

"Life safety jacket" not life jacket.

"Floatation floating devise" not personal floatation devise.

No CE nor 50N certified.

e.g.

Life Safety Jacket - £19

I'll bring one down to the meet Paul, its never been used and you're more than welcome to have it

Lee: Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the differences. So for pier/rocks fishing a PFD would be the better option? I will shop around and post back here before buying anything.

Joe: Thanks but if I'm going to take Daniel fishing with any regularity we're going to have to buy a couple of them anyway.

Lee: Thank you very much for taking the time to explain the differences. So for pier/rocks fishing a PFD would be the better option? I will shop around and post back here before buying anything.

Joe: Thanks but if I'm going to take Daniel fishing with any regularity we're going to have to buy a couple of them anyway.
It makes sense Paul, I'll bring it anyway, Its never been used

Yes mate PFD with at least one waist strap and CE certified and a boyancy ratting if 50N Decathlon do them at a good price plus you can go in store and try them on for the right size.

Yes mate PFD with at least one waist strap and CE certified and a boyancy ratting if 50N Decathlon do them at a good price plus you can go in store and try them on for the right size.

Definitely the best way to go......if you can go to a store and try them on :thumbsup:

All the ones I have come up small, go to decathlon is probably the best bet, don't forget you will most likely have clothes underneath if your only using them for fishing.

I would recommend not to take those cheap, usually Chinese styrofoam-type of vests. Usually they are not enough to carry a grown individual. I would suggest to talk to a local sailmaker or maybe your local maritime shop, if you have one. Saves you a lot of trouble if you really get in a dire situation needing such a device.

Lee is absolutely bang on...without the CE mark you may as well be wearing an inflatable duck rubber ring.
The question that you need to ask yourself is "would you trust a product to support you with your face above water if you were knocked unconscious?" It doesn't actually take much positive buoyancy to keep you afloat but it must fit correctly and securely in order to keep you face up.

Amen.

Those are devices meant to be lifesavers. Especially for such items one should not try to bargain for any cent possible (let alone the fact that ordering from the "big river" is bad for the community anyway, given the fact that every purchase not done at a proper specialized dealer harms the small traders even more, and on the long run the community and its expertise as such).

Lee is absolutely bang on...without the CE mark you may as well be wearing an inflatable duck rubber ring.
The question that you need to ask yourself is "would you trust a product to support you with your face above water if you were knocked unconscious?" It doesn't actually take much positive buoyancy to keep you afloat but it must fit correctly and securely in order to keep you face up.

Back