• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lightening The Load !

I have resisted doing this for some time but I had £50 Christmas money knocking around & I was lucky enough to receive a £50 bonus at work in February for being a good boy (Believe it or not) so I added a few extra hard earned pounds in order to buy this.

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/moun...n-sleeping-bag-reg-green-shoots/p9643#tdesc_1

It is my first ever (& quite likely only ever) down bag & it weighs half the weight of my winter sleeping bag. I know that they have issues when it is damp but it will be protected by a bivvy bag if the forecast even hints at a shower.

I bought it in case I partake in any trips that involve a hike at some point & also to see just how much of a difference it makes to the weight of my pack.

Do you think that the wife will believe me when I tell her that it cost me £60 (I find that reducing the price of bushy purchases by two thirds generally helps to keep the peace chaps). ;)

Hi Neil.

Looks and sounds like a good bag from the description mate.
The cost will soon be a distant memory when you are wrapped up and feeling snug ;)
Have you climbed inside it yet......does it feel comfortable ?

Nice.:thumbsup:

Hi Neil.

Looks and sounds like a good bag from the description mate.
The cost will soon be a distant memory when you are wrapped up and feeling snug ;)
Have you climbed inside it yet......does it feel comfortable ?

Nice.:thumbsup:

It won't arrive until Tues/Weds Bill. I must admit to putting off the phone call to order it a few times as I had the cartoon angel in one ear saying don't buy it as it's too much money to spend in relation to how often you actually get out. In the other ear was the cartoon devil saying get it ordered mate as it will decrease the weight & space taken up within your pack & it's RRP was £300 but reduced to £180 ! Paul Kirtley will have to take some of the blame though as he uses & recommends the Xero 200 which weighs about 200 grams less but will be slightly less warm. Next up is to reduce my sleeping mat weight by half which will cost me £60 ish & I may look at the DD Superlight tarp at some point as well.

Starting to get expensive this outdoor lark but getting the 4x4 will be the catalyst to me getting out a lot more than I do now.

Take care mate ! :thumbsup:

No matter how many times you get out Neil....while you are out there........ you owe it to yourself to be comfortable and happy and confident in your kit.
As far as the sleeping Matt goes....keep saving and get yourself a Ex-Ped down matt.
Honestly these things are brilliant both for comfort and heat retention.
One of these would compliment the bag you have just bought......nice combination :thumbsup:

Hi Neil.

Cant recommend this strongly enough....I use this type and model myself.
This is an absolute must for me personally...because of the problems I have with my back.
In Scotland I was in the tent and also under the tarp on a carp bed..... had this Matt on the tent floor on top of the snow....took away the small bumps and lumps on the floor and kept me very warm.

It is compact and lightweight too......maybe worth a thought for the extra money??

https://www.nightgear.co.uk/en-UK/E...um=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping+API+Nightgear+GB

Look out for that little Devil again...:sneaky::rofl:

You can't go wrong with the Exped's, mine was the 9 UL symat, and I was on the ground at -20 plus on top of a yoga mat for puncture protection, they are a good bit of kit, BUT, if you're going towards a hammock I would recommend an underquilt, pure bliss :)

Funnily enough Bop......I use the lite 5 inside the hammock as well as tarp and tent......sits in there nicely and keeps me toasty.
:thumbsup:

Funnily enough Bop......I use the lite 5 inside the hammock as well as tarp and tent......sits in there nicely and keeps me toasty.
:thumbsup:

Interesting, I'll give it a try, I'm out this week for an overnighter in the hammock, I was going to try a pod / cocoon your thing as well, options lol

Hey Bop :thumbsup:

Great to hear you are getting out mate....hope you enjoy your trip :thumbsup:

The pod cocoon sounds interesting.....look forward to seeing that:thumbsup:
The Matt inside the hammock is worth a go......I keep mine a little under inflated while in the hammock.....helps it to form in the hammock and around you!!

You like to get away to distant cold places......I take it the cocoon is in preparedness for a future trip?;)

Just a thought for you.....Have you had a look at the Clarke Hammocks?

I use the NX-250.....which has now been superseded by the NX-270.
For cold weather hummocking these things take some beating...really.
Like being in a tent hung from the tress :rofl:

https://www.junglehammock.com/product/nx-270-camping-hammock/

Ideal for your adventures abroad and for your time out in the U.K.:thumbsup:

I have resisted doing this for some time but I had £50 Christmas money knocking around & I was lucky enough to receive a £50 bonus at work in February for being a good boy (Believe it or not) so I added a few extra hard earned pounds in order to buy this.

https://www.tauntonleisure.com/moun...n-sleeping-bag-reg-green-shoots/p9643#tdesc_1

It is my first ever (& quite likely only ever) down bag & it weighs half the weight of my winter sleeping bag. I know that they have issues when it is damp but it will be protected by a bivvy bag if the forecast even hints at a shower.

I bought it in case I partake in any trips that involve a hike at some point & also to see just how much of a difference it makes to the weight of my pack.

Do you think that the wife will believe me when I tell her that it cost me £60 (I find that reducing the price of bushy purchases by two thirds generally helps to keep the peace chaps). ;)

I couldnt bring myself to spend that amount on a sleeping bag, unless I needed a bag for Alaska lol, you should get away with saying it was £60 :rofl:

Hey Bop :thumbsup:

Great to hear you are getting out mate....hope you enjoy your trip :thumbsup:

The pod cocoon sounds interesting.....look forward to seeing that:thumbsup:
The Matt inside the hammock is worth a go......I keep mine a little under inflated while in the hammock.....helps it to form in the hammock and around you!!

You like to get away to distant cold places......I take it the cocoon is in preparedness for a future trip?;)

Just a thought for you.....Have you had a look at the Clarke Hammocks?

I use the NX-250.....which has now been superseded by the NX-270.
For cold weather hummocking these things take some beating...really.
Like being in a tent hung from the tress :rofl:

https://www.junglehammock.com/product/nx-270-camping-hammock/

Ideal for your adventures abroad and for your time out in the U.K.:thumbsup:

Getting out isn't easy :( add to that the 2 nighter is now a single but hey ho, we'll enjoy it :)

I saw a youtube vid of a guy in Canada with the same system, he recons it would be good down to -20F ?

I wish I had taken my hammock to Sweden, I think I would have been ok once we got out of the original spot.

Those Clark hammocks are spendy, spendy but nice ;)

Hi Bop.

Pleased you managed to get out:thumbsup:
Did you have time to try out the cocoon system in the end?........any pics ?
Yes the Clarkes are spendy spendy as you say :D...but....when you think what a decent expedition tent can cost.....they are actually on par.

Ohh sorry bop......thought you were out over the weekend mate......my bad:rolleyes::D

Look forward to the pics.....have a good one hope the weather is kind to you:thumbsup:

Thanks mate, 2 venue's in mind, I'll see where Son of wants to go, 1 coastal, with the option to hang, Runswick Bay, my fave spot, and 1 woodland, Brockwell Woods, another great spot.

Thanks mate, 2 venue's in mind, I'll see where Son of wants to go, 1 coastal, with the option to hang, Runswick Bay, my fave spot, and 1 woodland, Brockwell Woods, another great spot.
I remember seeing the pics you posted after one of your Runswick Bay trips Bop and I have to agree its a beautiful place

Back