• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lightweight solo overnight kit - 7kg Base weight

Madriverrob

Extremely Addicted
Kit flat lay out.jpg

Here is my recent solo overnight kit layout , without food and water it was 7kg .

ULA CDT ultra light rucksack - ULA CDT Ultralight Backpack Review - Section Hikers Backpacking Blog
Telescopic walking pole x1
Cheap groundsheet/tent protector
Wild Country Coshee Micro tent
Alpkit Cloudbase inflatable sleeping mat
Small sit mat
Cascade Wild ultralight backpacking table - Ultralight backpacking table | Cascade Wild
Stanley hip flask
Bespoke 750 ml titanium cookset ( with BRS stove and 100ml gas canister)
DPM zip pouch with brew kit , snacks and sundries
Rations
Smidge mossi spray
Small Tyvek ground mat
Mountain Warehouse down jacket
Alpkit Cloud Cover Down Quilt
Decathalon inflatable pillow
x1 Nalgene bottle 1 Litre
MSR Trailshot water filter
x2 platypus soft bottles ( 1 litre each)
Hat , Gloves and head net
Waterproof shell
Alpkit Prism rechargeable head torch
Small first aid kit
Possibles pouch and contents
Small waterproof pouch for glasses, wallet phone etc
Electronics pouch ( power bank , cables and head phones)

Last edited:
I used to be into going as light weight as possible but I find it hard now, if I have space in a bag then I tend to fill it. Good wee set up though Rob.

Same problems , too much kit to choose from . I need to be lightweight as struggle to carry a heavy pack over long distances .

I daresay my time will come where going light weight is forced upon me, in my teens when doing multiday trips I took great delight in packing as light as possible then when I wasn't trying to do 5 Munroes a day I started to like my luxuries, its whatever works for you I guess.

I'm guilty of having too much kit to play with too, sometimes I'll put something in the bag just because i haven't used it for a while and our last Cairngorms trip, I deliberately left the pockets off my bag so I wouldn't fill them, I must have been carrying 25KG in as it was.

That's a great base weight nice kit list too iirc I was about that for a trip with Gary

Same problems , too much kit to choose from . I need to be lightweight as struggle to carry a heavy pack over long distances .

Nice list there Rob & thanks for taking the time to post it up :thumbsup:
This is something that I need to pay particular attention to ( I can hear @Matt laughing from here)
I do plan to put together a much more manageable set of kit at some point as I have never done a solo overnighter before
Life gets in the way & it is not always possible to get out with your mates as a result of it !

As much as I do enjoy getting out with Rob he's a bad influence in the food department, we tend to take way too much when together lol something we both need to work on

Lol point taken Al ...
To be fair I took too much on Friday , it certainly is my area of weakness 😳
I try to find a balance between what kit I’ve got and what I actually need ! Sometimes it’s nice to have those extra luxuries but to be fair on Friday it was pleasing to have just enough .
There’s are still a few weight savings to be made , such as a lighter waterproof shell , did I need water filter and 2litres water ( I could have filtered ) and my possibles pouch has some duplications in it that I could weed out if I was minded to

Great load out list and a very light base weight, thanks for posting.
I dream of getting below 10kg but always end up carrying a few beers and stuff for my wife or daughter and it's 18kg before I know it.

It wasn't a dig at you Rob, just saying when we go together we can tend to go heavy on the food lol

Great load out list and a very light base weight, thanks for posting.
I dream of getting below 10kg but always end up carrying a few beers and stuff for my wife or daughter and it's 18kg before I know it.

Its easy done mate and if you're good for it then what's the problem. If its a shorter walk I've seen me pack V heavy sometimes, depending on what I'm planning. I do like to take plenty loud mouth soup with me these days, better to have too much than not enough. ;)

Back