• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Like having a new rifle

RWS Excalibre

Quite Addicted
The Excalibre had a full strip down service, seals, swivels and sling last week, todays the first chance I`ve had to get it out and play it.
Took the big old 6-24x50 illuminated scope off, replaced with good old faithful Simmons deer field 4-12x40 and zero`d in at 40m, mate came round with chrono`d,
running between 11.3 and 11.5. using RWS super point 14.5gr & super hollow point 14.2gr. when using JSB Diablo 15.89gr running 11.6 to 11.8 ( never have I ever got so technical, hope didn`t bore ya all). but it`s like having a new gun.

Top JSB`s, middle RWS hollow point & bottom super point (few fliers), 20mm circle`s.

IMG_1639[2045].jpg
IMG_1638[2051].jpg
IMG_1637[2047].jpg
IMG_1636[2049].jpg

The Excalibre had a full strip down service, seals, swivels and sling last week, todays the first chance I`ve had to get it out and play it.
Took the big old 6-24x50 illuminated scope off, replaced with good old faithful Simmons deer field 4-12x40 and zero`d in at 40m, mate came round with chrono`d,
running between 11.3 and 11.5. using RWS super point 14.5gr & super hollow point 14.2gr. when using JSB Diablo 15.89gr running 11.6 to 11.8 ( never have I ever got so technical, hope didn`t bore ya all). but it`s like having a new gun.

Top JSB`s, middle RWS hollow point & bottom super point (few fliers), 20mm circle`s.

View attachment 113436View attachment 113437View attachment 113438View attachment 113439
I like the stock has a lovely red sheen to it. :thumbsup:

Lovely looking rife mate. Must confess to knowing very little about Air Rifles, for as long as I care to admit, I have had full bore rifles for Deer, .308 and .243, and my faithful old .22 Rimmy for Rabbits.

But as I get older, the rifles are getting used less and less, and I am seriously considering not bothering to renew my FAC, all the extra hassle involved is getting to me. But the idea of a nice, up to the limit Air Rifle for Squirrels, Rats and Rabbits, is really appealing to me right now. I have hundreds of acres to roam over, and the use of a wood for wild camping/Bushcraft with tree rats a plenty.

Might be tapping you lads up for some advice in a bit. đź‘Ť

Thanks Big Red, apart from owning, using shotguns and old faithful, Marlin mod 60, only ever had 2 air rifles, BSA Meteor in early 70’s and the RWS since 2003 /4ish.
Am considering use of FAC air rifles :177 (18lbft), :20 & :22 (35 to 40lb ft), nothing wrong with the RWS sub 12 ft ld in the woods at squirrel, rats, and rabbits etc, think sometimes could use that extra punch.
Would have to be traditional looking though, not like something out of star wars with an air bottle stuffed in the front.

Thanks Big Red, apart from owning, using shotguns and old faithful, Marlin mod 60, only ever had 2 air rifles, BSA Meteor in early 70’s and the RWS since 2003 /4ish.
Am considering use of FAC air rifles :177 (18lbft), :20 & :22 (35 to 40lb ft), nothing wrong with the RWS sub 12 ft ld in the woods at squirrel, rats, and rabbits etc, think sometimes could use that extra punch.
Would have to be traditional looking though, not like something out of star wars with an air bottle stuffed in the front.
Wise man, you can’t beat a nice bit of walnut…a walnut tree, yes.

Lovely looking rife mate. Must confess to knowing very little about Air Rifles, for as long as I care to admit, I have had full bore rifles for Deer, .308 and .243, and my faithful old .22 Rimmy for Rabbits.

But as I get older, the rifles are getting used less and less, and I am seriously considering not bothering to renew my FAC, all the extra hassle involved is getting to me. But the idea of a nice, up to the limit Air Rifle for Squirrels, Rats and Rabbits, is really appealing to me right now. I have hundreds of acres to roam over, and the use of a wood for wild camping/Bushcraft with tree rats a plenty.

Might be tapping you lads up for some advice in a bit. đź‘Ť

@Big Red

Feeling pretty much the same as you Mike regarding the FAC ticket.
On a smaller scale to you.....my 22LR and 17HMR are just not getting used by me these days.
Thinking I will sell them both on this year.......keep the Pulsar till my recently renewed ticket runs out......and then sell that one on as well......leaving me with spring and PCP
@12ftlb.

Having the extra reach of the FAC is nice to have.....but can take the fun and enjoyment away from stalking....just my opinion :)

@Big Red

Feeling pretty much the same as you Mike regarding the FAC ticket.
On a smaller scale to you.....my 22LR and 17HMR are just not getting used by me these days.
Thinking I will sell them both on this year.......keep the Pulsar till my recently renewed ticket runs out......and then sell that one on as well......leaving me with spring and PCP
@12ftlb.

Having the extra reach of the FAC is nice to have.....but can take the fun and enjoyment away from stalking....just my opinion :)
I gave mine up a couple years ago as couldnt be assed with the hassle to keep it ;)... like bill said it spoiled my shooting experience and its taking me an age to get back into it again :thumbsup:

Back