• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Linden nail galls

Woodlander

Very Addicted
I will start this with sorry if its in the wrong thread, and can we maybe get a section for trees plants and their uses if we don't already have one?

Now, I was walking back home with my daughter this morning, teaching her about trees and plants when we came across this linden tree
20220824_101838.jpg
(lime tree) and I noticed some leaves were malformed.
20220824_101822.jpg

Having never seen this before I did some research and it turns out it's something called "linden nail galls", & it's caused by a mite, Eriophyes tillae.
It does no harm to the tree and there is no way of controlling the mite, but I found it unusual and interesting, so I thought I would share.

Also called lime, our drive is lined with them but I’ve never seen nail galls on any of them. It’s great wood for carving, religious icons or musical instruments such as violins were traditionally made from it.

Back