• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
there is something called "welcome to the promised land" information which I am sure you are all aware of but many non preppers will be blissfully ignorant of:
if someone has neglected, failed or refused to complete any plans for their family's survival there are things they need to know, should they expect to depend on others who have been more diligent.
NO ONE will provide them with shelter.
NO ONE will feed them.
NO ONE will provide drinking water.
NO ONE will protect them.
NO ONE will provide medical attention.
they need all these things for their own families.
if people want to survive, then as they say in America "the buck stops" with them and only them.
its called self reliance the emphasis on the SELF.

"we have lost so many of the "old fashioned" skills in the technology age and more will be lost in the future, the attitude that if you cant do it on a computer its not worth doing will come back to haunt them once TSHTF."

Put it on your computer, learn, plus learn how to maintain and provide power for your kit. Come on LW/Keith, quit being a Luddite and join the real world.

we ARE in the real world, that's why we are preppers, its people who rely on computers for everything that are living in fantasy land.

Wrong again LW, humans have always used available technology and always will, these days we have computers/electronics, in twenty years time we will be employing nanobots. Having the 'old skills' is a good fall back option but you need to live in the here and now too.

In a way you're both right. There is currently an upsurge of interest in old skills and crafts...ironically disseminated over the Internet..... Funny when you stop and think about it.
If you're stuck in the past existing in a bubble you risk becoming obsolete but if you make your skills relevant and share them in a such way that means other people can learn you create a resource. Knowledge is always useful even if it is ancient. There are engineering principles used today that haven't been improved on since they were described in Ancient Greece.
As with everything the trick is sorting the useable knowledge from the flat earth, everything revolves around us bullshit

the trouble with relying on technology in the form of computers, mobiles etc is the weakest link is electricity, this stuff either works directly off a power point or has to be recharged from a power point, any break in the power supply whether short or longer term tends to turn people into raving lunatics without their internet "fix".
when the power grid goes down we will all be back to using the old methods, whether people like it or not, the ones that survive will be the ones that can make use of these old time methods, not the ones crying in the corner in the dark.

Last edited:
the thing is that in previous times when civilisations collapsed-as they all do and so will this one- the "technology" of the day was so simple that the survivors could access their daily needs by their own labours and simply sit back and wait for "civilisation" to reassert itself no matter how long that it took, we cannot do that anymore our systems are so intertwined with global connections all over the world that when society collapses it may be impossible to get it back again.
if people cannot be self reliant and as self sufficient as possible post catastrophe then computers and mobiles wont be of any use to them, they need to learn the old traditional skills and they need to learn them now before they are forgotten for ever, before it is too late for them.
but of course the vast majority will not.
many will simply not have the time, like the wife's nephew who is working a 70 hour week just to make ends meet, pay the mortgage and pay the bills, such is modern life.

the trouble with relying on technology in the form of computers, mobiles etc is the weakest link is electricity, this stuff either works directly off a power point or has to be recharged from a power point, any break in the power supply whether short or longer term tends to turn people into raving lunatics without their internet "fix".
when the power grid goes down we will all be back to using the old methods, whether people like it or not, the ones that survive will be the ones that can make use of these old time methods, not the ones crying in the corner in the dark.
Tell me about it, I live on a hilltop in Wales :rofl: power cuts are normal for me as trees often trip the breakers on my supply. Once we are out of the EU and I can find out what the cost/benefits are I'm looking at fitting micro generation and storage. The internet is another matter. A few years back our ISP lost power during flooding. A lot of people were cut off. :confused::eek::zipped::crying::poo:

there was a thing done about a year or so back, a group of teenagers/early twenties were challenged to go without internet/mobile/computer access for 24 hours, they were climbing the walls within 4 hours!! poor things.

As with everything the trick is sorting the useable knowledge from the flat earth, everything revolves around us bullshit

You are suggesting the earth isn't flat?...OMG...I've been wrong all these years ;)

Back