• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
yes the sealed knot do tend to take themselves very seriously.
i'm not interested in the battles, that's just past history , what I am interested is the living history CAMPS, how the ordinary people went about their everyday lives, how they lived, what they ate, how they cooked it, that sort of thing.
the things that could be useful to us in the future when it all goes down the pan.

Times move on LW, clothing changes, tools at a basic level are the same and cooking is...cooking.

yes the sealed knot do tend to take themselves very seriously.
i'm not interested in the battles, that's just past history , what I am interested is the living history CAMPS, how the ordinary people went about their everyday lives, how they lived, what they ate, how they cooked it, that sort of thing.
the things that could be useful to us in the future when it all goes down the pan.
Exactly.
Keith.

Times move on LW, clothing changes, tools at a basic level are the same and cooking is...cooking.
if you go to any of these living history camps Harry have a look inside the tents and actually talk to the people. I have.
you may find its not that simple. you may actually learn something.

Last edited:
I really can't see what I'd learn; I've a good broad range of skills as it is. I can see the attraction of re-enactment as a fun hobby but its just not my thing...I live in the here and now, not the past.

What will you learn ystranc?

If you already have good 'basic' skills downgrading from technology should straightforward.

Harry, I'm the first to admit that I don't know everything, a day where you don't learn anything is a day wasted.

We all learn, but please don't yearn for the past...its what is is just, the past...look at their knowledge as building bricks, a base for your knowledge and not the future.

Fair comment Harry but I can't dismiss the knowledge from the past. When I was much younger I learned so much from old men who had learned their craft from other old men. Perhaps there is an element of nostalgia but I'm not trying to create my own little time bubble. There are elements of these historical reenactment societies that appeal to me but I'm no Luddite.

We need to pass these skills on to our children, the shtf may not happen in our time.
Keith.

Ystranc, our knowledge has bloomed and thats why we top the food chain and have the luxury of stepping down the ladder if needed...I don't want to be stuck a few rungs down without choice.

we have lost so many of the "old fashioned" skills in the technology age and more will be lost in the future, the attitude that if you cant do it on a computer its not worth doing will come back to haunt them once TSHTF.

we have lost so many of the "old fashioned" skills in the technology age and more will be lost in the future, the attitude that if you cant do it on a computer its not worth doing will come back to haunt them once TSHTF.
I agree. I think that there are probably a lot of intelligent people out there that as yet do not have these skills, but will learn by experimentation if they get the opportunity. But many I think won't make it. It takes time to learn these skills, & in a shtf situation, you may not have the time to learn by trial & error. The more you do, the more your brain adjusts to the situation & that makes it easier for one to work things out. This is all good if you have prepped well & have a good food supply & fire making implements, but if not, then you may not learn these skills in time.
Nothing can beat experience, it does not matter if it is primitive fire lighting or evasion or self defence. None of these are learnt overnight & it is that inexperience that can be one's downfall.
Keith.

The ones that are interested in these skills will learn them now, the ones that want to prep food and water will do it now, but most will not, why bother to store food when like wife's nephew there is a supermarket in each direction within a 5 minute drive?
when TSHTF most will be lost, floundering in a sea of not knowing what to do once the stores are empty and there is no food in the house, skills? heck they wont know where the next meal is coming from and it will be too late to learn the skills then.

Back