• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Keith

Very Addicted
We have been living off grin for about 40 years now, over 20 of those years without electricity. I hunted for meat with my Flintlock Fusil though I hunt less these days because we can afford to purchase meat. We are looking at keeping some stock though, & did for a while some years ago.
We have two houses, I built the first house/cottage when we first moved here from the Territory, where we were also off grid & often cut off for months at a time. Again I hunted for meat & we grew our own food, & of course we are growing our own food here in New England.
Water is supplied to the main house from two cement 5000 gallon water tanks that collect rain water. There is a 1000 gallon water tank for the main house gardens, plus we can pump from Cattail Pond just below us. Both houses are situated on the side of Butterfly Valley, which is one of three valleys we have in Wychwood Forest.
Another 5000 gallon poly water tank feeds our outside laundry & the cottage, plus there are two 1000 gallon galvo tanks up at the cottage.
Power to the main house & the cottage is solar. The main house is 240 volt & the cottage is on 12 volt. We do have an inside laundry in the main house, but only a small washing machine to save room, hence the outside laundry with a larger machine for heavier wash loads.
Keith.
Linstock, the main house on the right. Elm Cottage which I built many years ago up higher to the left.
The outside laundry with a wash sink also outside for washing vegetables.

The 5000 gallon poly water tank that now feeds the outside laundry & Elm Cottage.

Cattail Pond in the bottom of Butterfly Valley below both houses. Water can be pumped to both house gardens from here.
The power shed with solar panels which feed into a bank of batteries in the shed. 24 volts is converted into 240 volts for the main house. I prefer the solar panels to be low down & accessible so that it is easier to clear the snow from the panels in winter. I could not do this if the panels were on the house roof.

Keith

Very Addicted
You are one lucky man to be able to live that kind of life
I agree Joe, but it took a lot of years working since the age of 14 to get the money, & when you live this kind of lifestyle the work never ends. However, it was & is all worth it, I could not handle living in a built up area with neighbours. I could never have done this in England.
Keith.

Joecole

Staff member
I agree Joe, but it took a lot of years working since the age of 14 to get the money, & when you live this kind of lifestyle the work never ends. However, it was & is all worth it, I could not handle living in a built up area with neighbours. I could never have done this in England.
Keith.
The sacrifice was definitely worth it looking at the property you now own, back here in England it becoming increasingly difficult to find the space to roam

Bopdude

Very Addicted
Great story, was always a dream of mine to move to Australia but life had different ideas for me lol, anyway, looks like your're living the dream, even if it is and has been hard graft.

Keith

Very Addicted
The sacrifice was definitely worth it looking at the property you now own, back here in England it becoming increasingly difficult to find the space to roam
That was the main reason I left Joe. I lived in a large 18th century farm house backed by fields & woods. I spent most of my time outdoors. Then suddenly it was all gone, a housing estate & school built. I used to travel to Cowfold to shoot wood pigeon for a farmer, & for food for us & friends. But I was increasingly feeling that I did not have enough freedom anymore. I saw myself getting married & being a mechanical engineer all my life living in a ticky tacky house until I would inherit the family home! So I bailed out!
Keith.

Keith

Very Addicted
Great story, was always a dream of mine to move to Australia but life had different ideas for me lol, anyway, looks like your're living the dream, even if it is and has been hard graft.
It has been a great experience, life threatening at times, but well worthwhile. I have been right round & up into the center. I was in Darwin when cyclone Tracey hit & obviously I survived that, just! It has been an adventure. England is very tame compared to Australia.
Keith.

Bopdude

Very Addicted
It has been a great experience, life threatening at times, but well worthwhile. I have been right round & up into the center. I was in Darwin when cyclone Tracey hit & obviously I survived that, just! It has been an adventure. England is very tame compared to Australia.
Keith.
Sounds like it's never dull, I will get there one day, if only for a visit :)

Keith

Very Addicted
Sounds like it's never dull, I will get there one day, if only for a visit :)
I recommend it. Tropics at one end, the Snowy Mountains & the Alps at the other end. We are about half way between.
Keith.

1 shot willie

Administrator
Staff member
Hi,Keith.

What a lovely spread you have there......Looking beyond the pictures I can see the hours of work that have gone into achieving it.
How far away from the nearest town are you.....was getting materials there a poblem?

All credit to you on a marvelous achievment :):thumbsup:

Keith

Very Addicted
Hi,Keith.

What a lovely spread you have there......Looking beyond the pictures I can see the hours of work that have gone into achieving it.
How far away from the nearest town are you.....was getting materials there a poblem?

All credit to you on a marvelous achievment :):thumbsup:
The nearest town on the back roads is only about 35 klm, but it is a small town, not much there. The nearest small city is only 45 klm away, my wife works there 3 days a week. No problem getting materials. The cottage I built was in fact an old cottage that had been moved twice before, I found it abandoned in a farm paddock & bought it for $300.00. I numbered all the parts in paint, pulled it all apart, & transported it to our place on a small trailer. When I re-built it I added larger windows & made other alterations to suit us better. It is very old, no inside toilet or bathroom.
Keith.