• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lluest Cwmbach Bothy from the North (52.31464 -3.61202)

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
I've been wanting to see Lluest Cwmbach Bothy again for a little while because it has been revamped since my last visit.
After dragging Louise about a mile through the entire length of the upland bog to the north of of the bothy we reached the sea of head high bracken that covers the hillside through summer and into autumn.
Navigating through all this toward the bothy is helped by the two lonely conifers that stand just to the north of it. As we came around the side of the hill into Lluest Cwmbach (Lit. The little valley by the lake's side) the bothy came into view. It is about 390Meters above sea level on the East bank of Craig Goch reservoir.
The bothy has an outside toilet to a septic tank but no running water so flushing is by means of a bucket and water butt. Inside there are three sleeping platforms, the ubiquitous drying rack for clothing, some benches and a large trunk that keeps the mice off anything that you wish to leave for subsequent guests. There is a wood burning stove but as there is no natural fuel source nearby it is best to take your own fuel if you wish to use it.
There are level spots to pitch tents just to the south of the bothy as well as a couple of established sites for ground fires in safe places where they won't risk spreading to the bracken, though ground fires and tents are discouraged..

Craig Goch is renowned for the numbers of brown trout, day passes are available.

Last edited:
IMG_20211015_162731.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211015_162502.jpg
    IMG_20211015_162502.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_20211015_162548.jpg
    IMG_20211015_162548.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20211015_162728.jpg
    IMG_20211015_162728.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 76
I just wish my camera phone wasn't quite so crap then the interior photos that I took would have been a bit better and been worth posting, it's very basic but well laid out and clean inside.
It's only the same standard as bothies all over the UK but the situation is beautiful.

Wow, that’s so interesting, I wish we had the likes down here in the south west. 👍
Similar set up to Nun's cross farm but much smaller and not on a beaten track so it's less likely to have a constant stream of drop-in visitors using the loo.

Similar set up to Nun's cross farm but much smaller and not on a beaten track so it's less likely to have a constant stream of drop-in visitors using the loo.
But you have to book Nuns Cross Farm…….and it ain’t cheap!

But you have to book Nuns Cross Farm…….and it ain’t cheap!
Yeah, that is part of the problem with Nun's cross...It's status confuses a lot of hikers. It looks too much like a bothy not to be a bothy if you see what I mean.
I would check out this site for other examples of great places to stop over for free. The Mountain Bothies Association

I cut and pasted this from the web.
Etymology. The etymology of the word bothy is uncertain. Suggestions include a relation to both "hut" as in Irish bothán and Scottish Gaelic bothan or bothag; a corruption of the Welsh term bwthyn, also meaning small cottage; and a derivation from Norse būð, cognate with English booth with a diminutive ending.
I guess it's a corruption of a fairly ancient word used right across the British Isles Alan.

Back