• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lockdown lift

Using only natural resources what is best thing to line a campfire with, have plenty of stone around here but did read somewhere that the wrong items could explode?

Using only natural resources what is best thing to line a campfire with, have plenty of stone around here but did read somewhere that the wrong items could explode?
Depending on what stone you use yes they can explode, the only real way round that is to start your fire and keep it small initially so that the stone warms through slowly do that any damp also comes out slowly , one of the problems with porous stone is that the water content can heat up and expand to quickly hence the cracking and going bang

With the reenactment i do we built a bread oven and to make it easier to move lined it with concrete paving bricks that would come out for portability. One event we managed to forget the bricks but at the farm we were at there was a load of rubble and we scavenged some bricks from it. We found some blue staffies which we thought would be fine. Fired up the oven and after a while there was a series of "clicks" for want of a better word as little shards of brick were shot out of the mouth of the oven...

With the reenactment i do we built a bread oven and to make it easier to move lined it with concrete paving bricks that would come out for portability. One event we managed to forget the bricks but at the farm we were at there was a load of rubble and we scavenged some bricks from it. We found some blue staffies which we thought would be fine. Fired up the oven and after a while there was a series of "clicks" for want of a better word as little shards of brick were shot out of the mouth of the oven...
That is a prime example of damp, bread ovens by design heat up very quickly therefore the moisture content in the bricks expands and will blow pieces out of any weak point in the brick******

The most embarrassing thing was that we chose the blue ones over the softer red ones because we thought they'd be less porous and less prone to spallig šŸ˜ 

The most embarrassing thing was that we chose the blue ones over the softer red ones because we thought they'd be less porous and less prone to spallig šŸ˜ 
It's an easy mistake to make. My fire pit of choice is a thick clay wall, no shortage of that here and if it crumbles just patch no clay just build it out of wet mud

I'll be out for another fire, no plans on kipping out though. I'll no doubt manage to force a couple of snorkers on a roll down too, trouper that I am. :)

15889748408902183536673463652411.jpg
here's one I prepared earlier...
15889748408902183536673463652411.jpg

Tonight.................................I shall mostly be up the garden, lavvu and czech blanket sleeping bag...........
At long last..........a hedgehog was caught on the camera trap, at the front of the tent,,,watched him from my bag at his eye level. Beginning to think that the badgers had finished them off!
Slept with doors open, and loads of moonlight, and awoke to dawn chorus and the scent of honeysuckle........

Attachments

• lavvu sleepout.JPG
    lavvu sleepout.JPG
    285 KB · Views: 116
Glad you had a good night out the back Lol :thumbsup: ..........giving rain tomorrow......are you tempted to leave the Lavvu out and spend another night in the rain?:thumbsup:

Yes, I love it when it rains..............................but might not be allowed..............

Yes, I love it when it rains..............................but might not be allowed..............
....actually, I'm not sure we will get much if any rain, here in the east..............? Just colder, and miserable.......

Back