• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Log saw

edd5322

Extremely Talkative
I have a chain saw(not used yet) but i would like to buy a hand saw for the purpose of cutting the logs too.Not to big mind and has to be useable by one man,any ideas guys(cheaper better)?

Checked on google and the like but theres loads that come up so thought why not ask the people in the know.

Bacho bow saw, the longer the better because the longer stroke cuts faster, if you can find any still for sale "Sandvik" bow saw blades are the best that you can buy but the company changed hands and stopped making them. They're still out there for sale but are as rare as hens teeth.
What chainsaw did you get? Did you get any safety gear?

Bacho and Sandvik are one and the same now.I have both,but I prefer a chainsaw! I keep 2 stroke oil,chain oil,petrol and spare chains ( and spark plugs) to last 3 years.If SHTF, I get my lads to do the sawing!

Not my expertise but if the bacho bow saw is of the same quality as the Laplander then I would say go for that:thumbsup:

cool they have the Bacho bow saw in local screw fix so that will do me, thanks guys.

Bacho and Sandvik are one and the same now.I have both,but I prefer a chainsaw! I keep 2 stroke oil,chain oil,petrol and spare chains ( and spark plugs) to last 3 years.If SHTF, I get my lads to do the sawing!
Sandvik's blade manufacturing operation was bought out by snap-on but the production standards immediately dropped, they reduced the gauge of the steel blade by 17% which meant that the blades don't last or keep their set as well. If you can find deadstock blades branded as Sandvik they're way better quality.

My go to saws are my ms660 with a 22" bar (I do a lot of work with oak) and my little top handle stihl (for climbing) I also have echo and jonsered saws on the bench needing work. My back up is a little ms380 that lives in the van for when a tree comes down on the track up to my house. It's how I make a good chunk of my income.:)

My go to saws are my ms660 with a 22" bar (I do a lot of work with oak) and my little top handle stihl (for climbing) I also have echo and jonsered saws on the bench needing work. My back up is a little ms380 that lives in the van for when a tree comes down on the track up to my house. It's how I make a good chunk of my income.:)
You used a 2 in 1 easy file yet?

Nope, if I need to sharpen my chain it gives me a chance to pour a sip of coffee :) no need to rush ;)
I use the standard Oregon 30 degree file guide, depth guide and rake...3 chains per bar/sprocket then they're junked.

I can support any recommendations for bahco bow saws; I use a 24" with a raker blade at home and have a 21" raker blades saw that fits in my pack.

Also got a Laplander!

I've had issues with generic 2stroke oils recently and would not recommend long term storage, they have a finite shelf life as has petrol.

Back