• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Looking for a 65L backpack

Have you tried it yet...it looks fabulous value? Interestingly GoArmy are out of stock. I thought my ALICE LC1 was great value......but........

For those, who are interested in the Rucksack in the beginning:

The Firm Miltec produces products of changing Quality. I would not buy equipment from them.

The photo shows a copy of the original standard back pack of the German army in the times of reunification.

In western Germany it was oliv green. It is as good as impossible to find today one in good conditions.

But than it only changed the colour and small unimportant details.

This newer Model you get now a days in Germany in very good conditions every corner.

It is called correctly:
Bundeswehr Kampfrucksack Flecktarn (5Farb) 65 Liter.
It costs everywhere used, but in good conditions 40 €. And this is a very good deal.

But: It has no hip belt. You should not throw to heavy equipment in there. 16 Kilo Maximum I think are OK for shorter distances, 8 to 12 kg for longer distances is my privat opinion. ( I am using this Rucksack since several Years in winter times) It is very good possible to attach a winter sleeping bag on top, if needed.

In this Rucksack belongs the foldable German army insulation mat,it is original only existing used on the market, but it is possible to get it in very good condition.
Bundeswehr Faltmatte it is called.

That mat is the internal frame of the rucksack. It simply belongs in there. It fits perfectly in the compartment next to the back, which is made for it.

The original Kampfrucksack 65 Liter is a very good piece of Equipment and a very good deal for 40 €.
Because the mat is the frame, the rucksack is relatively light.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The Rucksack for mountain troops is called Bundeswehr Gebirgsjägerrucksack, 34 Liter, it is existing original only in oliv green, because it is the father of the Kampfrucksack 65 Liter.

It is existing in 3 different versions:
Cotton with Leather and metal closures
Cotton with plastic closures
Cordura Nylon with plastic closures

The last one is lightweigt, around 850 g, and is looking like that:

WP_20170907_10_16_46_Pro.jpg WP_20170904_11_57_58_Pro.jpg WP_20170904_11_24_01_Pro.jpg
WP_20170904_11_46_54_Pro.jpg

You can see here next to the back the folded insulation mat in it's compartment. It belongs in this rucksack too as the necessary frame.

The Bundeswehr never had a different mountain troop Rucksack.

Older Versions are Wehrmacht Gebirgsjäger Rucksack and the equal BGS Gebirgsjäger Rucksack in BGS green.

After the Rucksack in the photos the Gebirgsjäger troops got the Kampfrucksack 65Liters like every body else in this army, or used the old one in the Photos.

Today the Bundeswehr mountain troops are using the Berghaus Munro. May be that they get a new model in the moment, I have no idea.

That's it.

So it means: In the beginning of this thread is a right photo of a - in my opinion- bad copy of a good Bundeswehr Infanterie Rucksack, that got in this Army after the German reunification everybody, mountain troops too. But they prefered usually to continue the use of their old Gebirgsjäger rucksacks until they got the Berghaus Munro.

Thanks for the info on this.

The first post in the thread is not the backpack I went for though. I decided to go for the one that Lee suggested in post #4 which was this one:
http://www.military1st.co.uk/30283b-german-army-mountain-bergen-80l-olive.html
(yet another clone, I'd imagine)
I've been pretty happy with it but, as has been pointed out before, at 3.2kg its fairly heavy and something that I need to address.

Because they are designed to be worn over webbing/belt kit, a lot of military spec bergans have a rudimentary hip belt that is not of the same utility as that found on civilian kit.

Given that I'm assuming that no one is wearing webbing whilst out bushcrafting then for that reason alone, if not the weight that accompanies military robustness, is still recommend a quality civilian rucksack.

You dont have to get them in shocking pink, I've got a karrimor jaguar and a gerlert rucksack in grey green and dark grey respectively, purchased off eBay for about £20.

I use them and abuse them both as part of my civi work and am happy with both. For bushcraft I'd choose both over my issue plce bergans and pack accordingly.

Remember that ultra lightweight is an objective but not the only one. I'd happily take a pack that weighs a kilo extra but is comfortable over one that is lightweight but tiring/uncomfortable to carry. That extra kilo can in a way be less fatiguing in the long run.

A real ultra lightweight construction surely isn't the best choice for bushcraft. They aren't spark resistant, and even at thorns and rocks easily destroyed. But here I am speaking about Rucksacks from Tarp Textiles, so thin, that you nearly can look through the fabrik.

A normal civil construction often is the best choice, if you are buying new material. But that isn't necessary! And I don't really want to put a brand new civil rucksack next to a fire, where sparks could jump out.
Experienced bushcrafters are able to avoid this, but ....

The knew military material becomes lighter and lighter. The Bundeswehr Gebirgsjäger Rucksack Cordura (nearly 30 years old !) is light, the Bundeswehr Kampfrucksack is light, the Berghaus Munro is light, the Österreichisches Bundesheer Essl Kaderrucksack 45 Liters or 35 Liters are light. I think they all become lighter and lighter.

If you buy one, you simply have to look before on the weight.

The Rucksack G1ZmO got is an MFH product.
And that is like Miltec no original military material! They are stronger than miltec products, but they are made from cheaper material too. They are to heavy. The fabrik is to heavy.

You can buy a real civil product or you can buy a younger issued military product or you can buy brand new military material, which all is tough and most times very light.

A Clone, a cheap copy is what it is. It has in no point than the optic anything to do with real military material. And most times to buy it means to throw money out of the Window.

If you buy military material it has to be declared as ORIGINAL.
If it is not, most civil products for the same price are better, especially if they come from Aldi or other well known firms with a good name somehow.
There you normally get, what you pay.

The cheaper civil brands surely are better than copys of military equipment.

I for example use a lot of equipment from Decathlon. It is working for civil use as good as military equipment, especially if it is Solognac hunting equipment.

on the issue of packs just read a feature on the Alpkit website discussing sleeping bag warmth and the issie of compression of insulation. essentially they are saying it may be better to have a larger pack that allows the sleeping bag to remain relatively uncompressed than go for the smallest pack that results in the sleeping bag having to be compressed to its smallest size which can affect insulation, especially with the loft of down bags.

And don't forget: Plastics filling fibres are breaking in compression Bags.

But no reason to carry a larger backpack than 60 Liters in Winter times.

Those incredible large 80 to 120 Liter military rucksacks are made for young handpicked Soldiers in special forces.

If you do not look like Hercules, you will have a problem to carry them around.

And don't forget: Plastics filling fibres are breaking in compression Bags

Those incredible large 80 to 120 Liter military rucksacks are made for young handpicked Soldiers in special forces.

If you do not look like Hercules, you will have a problem to carry them around.

Very kind of you to say but not strictly true.

Whilst I agree they are unnecessary for most bushcraft activity you'll be amazed how full mine could be as a light role infantry soldier!

Bergans, Backpacks, Rucksack. etc etc no matter what size you get your still going to stuff it full of SxxT that you don't really need. LOL the bigger it is the more crap ya going to carry, keep it small keep it simple

Back