• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Lurked long enough

Baytree

Quite Addicted
Hello , as the title suggests I've lurked around this forum for some time and thought it time to sign up as I've done the same on other self sufficiency and prepping forums. The user name means nothing really , I could see a baytree from where I am sitting so chose that.
I suppose I have taken after my parents who , while they would never call themselves preppers , always had an eye on what might happen at some point in the future and made plans accordingly , self reliance , a producing garden and a full pantry . I've tended to live in a similar manner and have brought my other half around to this way of thinking at least to a degree. I tend to be the slow crash scenario type rather than the sudden apocalypse type although if that should happen I'd hope to have a fighting chance. Nearest I have ever gotten to a sudden type of event was in a six month period a few years ago when I had two redundancies and lost both parents. The world and my own private world carried on turning and life continued which was perhaps down to a stoical outlook and a few preps.
I hope I'm accepted and can also hopefully contribute to this forum.

You're very welcome here Baytree, there are a lot of Preppers who have a very similar outlook to you (myself included)
While I have no idea what sort of event I'm really prepping for and no real idea of what to expect afterward I have no intention of going hungry :rofl:
I have also been unfortunate enough to pass through a series of enforced career changes, it happens. It's not personal even though it feels like it at the time, the stoical attitude certainly helps.

Thanks for the welcomes. When I left school I , like most , signed on the dole but found employment before I first dole cheque came through. That job lasted around three months , another fortnight on the dole and then a job that lasted thirty years . While I knew I was never amongst the high earners it was regular and I lived within my means. A job lasting that long probably gave me a false sense of security and one day it just ended. I'd gone to work as usual , mid morning we were told the firm had gone into liquidation and I was back home by lunchtime . Surprising to say the least. There was another period on the dole which I won't go into here but left me cynical , another short period of employment where it became apparent i and several others were taken on with no intention of keeping us employed then the dole again. I'm now self employed and I'm comfortable enough and that's principally how I view prepping , maintaining a decent standard of living as opposed gating zombie hoards ( as exciting as that is in films ) .

Hello, Baytree. You live within your means - how quaint. lt's something l've always done and has rubbed off onto my sons who manage very well even though neither has a well paid job.

Hi Baytree.
Glad you've decided to sign up.
This forum has a good bunch of lads and lasses and a more realistic view on what it is we are all prepping foršŸ˜¬

Quaint , probably one of the nicer things I've been called and as to living within my means that has more than once been called being as tight as a duck's , er , blunt end...

Back