• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Luxe Hexpeak V4A or OneTigris Smokey Hut or .....

Banzaibrothers

Quite Talkative
Hi All,

Wondered if I could seek advice from your collective wisdom.

I'm after a new tent. I would say 'shelter' but I want something completely weather proof and mozzie proof - for me that means a 'tent'. Said tent will be used for canoe camping and walk-in camping both in the wilds and on campsites - so I'd like it to be as light as reasonably possible. Probably for no more than a couple of nights max in any one place. Budget around the Ā£300 absolute max and considerably less preferred. Will mostly be used just by myself but would be nice if I could use with wife or one of the kids occasionally.

I was thinking of a Terra Nova Competition 2. Very light, very weather-proof. Nice small footprint to fit into those small spaces that can be found here and there. But I've discounted the idea for now as too fragile, not very flexible and small in inclement weather. Would probably need to carry a footprint plus a tarp to cook under etc (maybe).

My top two choices at the moment are:

Luxe Hexpeak V4A and OneTigris Smokey Hut with a cheap AliExpress inner. (OneTigris Nova Tipi too small, Hexpeak F6A offers nothing better than Smokey Hut and costs more). I like the flexible nature of them, door wide open etc, and plenty of space.

But I wonder if the V4A is big enough for me to be comfortable in? I'm 6' and wonder if it might be a squeeze, touching sides when lying down etc.

I wonder if the Smokey Hut might be so large I can't find anywhere to pitch it? Although there are options to fold it and use as a tarp.

So have people 6' used the Hexpeak V4A? What are your thoughts? Anyone used a Luxe and OneTigris tent? Thoughts on differences between the two?

Any thoughts or recommendations on other options? (Tarp not weather-proof enough, or large enough internally when pitched as tipi tent).

Thanks in advance. Mike

Reactions: lol
Hello Mike, I think you are wise to discount the Terra Nova. I use a similar style, a Wild Country Zephyros 2 which is a great one man tent, slightly heavier and probably tougher than the Terra Nova, but definitely a one man tent, being practical that is. Could squeeze in 2 but you would need to be a Yoga expert or Human Origami guru in wet weather...

P1040875.jpg

I know absolutely nothing about pointy tents, so can't help you with those.
There are a few pointy tent fans on the forum though, easily recognisable by their funny shaped heads....:lol:...:lol:

Welcome to the forum Mike, like Sax, I'm not an expert so I'll leave it for someone else to offer advice on the pointy tents. The only one I have is a lavvu and that's hardly lightweight although you'd get plenty change out of the 300 quid. ;)

Thanks guys. Yep, Lavvu too heavy - but I know people love them.

Hadn't realised there was a normal tent vs pointy tent rivalry; now i'll really have to be careful what I choose! :D

I hope no one here is making a "pointed" remark at me? Someone here suggested he ask here o_O .................

(Stupid boy, Pike...)

Hi and welcome, just to throw a spanner in the works, how about

Or on my hit list when they get stock

Reactions: Bam
Hi Bobdude,

Thanks for the welcome. I do like the look of the Pasvik but it's very heavy compared to what I'm looking at.

And for lol's sake, let's not confuse matters further - he's sick of hearing about it as it is! :rofl:

I'm just between the Hexpeak V4A (is the inner too small for 6' in comfort?) and the Smokey Hut (is it too large to pitch in those secluded spots?).

Really, it's the Hexpeak unless it's too small.

" I hope no one here is making a "pointed" remark at me? Someone here suggested he ask here o_O .... "

Crikey! no Lol, I would never take the mick, I was just pointing out how Nature adapts the human body to how we use it. If you stand up quickly in a pointy tent a lot, then Nature redesigns you to fit.

Take the lady below for instance...I can tell at a glance..She's a Hammock user, and sleeps on her back a lot.

tenor.gif

Attachments

• tenor.gif
    tenor.gif
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
Just to mess with everyones heads I would also like to mention the DD super light teepee tent. Another contender?

Like the look of that Bakers style tent - looks like the Bungalow with extra tarpage :)

Reactions: Bam
Thanks Ystranc,

I've looked at the DD options. The Superlight Tipi adds nothing over the Smokey Hut - and I've yet to see a picture of one looking good.

In the end I found the OneTigris Smokey hut for a good price on AliExpress. I decided for the price I'd take a chance and try it.

I'll report back in about 5 weeks time!
Pretty soon all self control will have gone out of the window and you'll be pushing the button on onetigris kit just as fast as you can... Bill seems to favour them and he has pretty good taste in kit.....:eek:..except his pants look a bit loud sometimes.

Back