• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Machete/camping knife??

BogWarrior

Slightly Talkative
Lads what are ye're views on these?
In Ireland, their deemed illegal, but if its advertised for sale as a camping knife or other ways, its considered OK.
I have 1 in my fishing kit for getting into areas that haven't been touched.long grass, briars etc.
Would ye feel safe with a loophole in the law like that?

forget machetes, parangs etc, consider a Hudson bay (new run by bark river coming out anytime now)

Well, to argue your signature :D I got it at a whole sale warehouse for a fiver so can't complain price wise.
Thinking of trying to replace the handle to a deer antler handle just for ornamental/diy use

first off, "bogwarrior" is a genius! username for an irish fella lol

so machete's are illegal over the water then?...never knew that
its hard for us to say wether using a legal loop hole is a good idea for someone else in another country mate

what i will say is. i would buy from somewhere in ireland (knife already imported) preferably a proper shop
and make sure it don't look, even a little bit, like a machete.

Thank you, thank you :D
Yeah illegal!b##licks if you ask me but that's it.
I have a few blades here that are legal but its just a cheap "camping knife" is handy.
Don't have to worry about breakages or damaging the knife with such a cheap tool
Was just looking for others point of views

what about more traditional tools like billhooks, slashers, or kindling splitters?

they must be legal and will certainly clear a trail or perform general camp knife dutys

AFAIK, all these sort of items are legal as long as there's adequate reason to have them.the unfortunate thing is I'm 23 but look younger, so to the eyes of most people, I'm more than likely up to no good
People find it hard to believe I partake in field sports etc

AFAIK, all these sort of items are legal as long as there's adequate reason to have them.the unfortunate thing is I'm 23 but look younger, so to the eyes of most people, I'm more than likely up to no good
People find it hard to believe I partake in field sports etc

We have what sounds like a not too dissimilar set of knife laws over here. One has to have "good reason" to carry or use a fixed blade knife (including locking folders, which are classified as "fixed blade") and a limit on blade length. It is all open to interpretation, but it is what it is, the suits make the laws and we abide :rolleyes:

:)

Abiding in the laws takes the craic out of it :D.
But as I said, presumption is a terrible thing
I always have a pocket tool in my pocket if I think I'm going to need it.shooting,fishing,training dogs etc.Got followed across the field one day by two guards.
When they approached me, I had my game bag,dog,and dressed in camo
I thought it would have been fairly obvious that I wasn't up to harm but still had to explain the multi tool when asked to empty my pockets :eek:

Abiding in the laws takes the craic out of it :D.
But as I said, presumption is a terrible thing
I always have a pocket tool in my pocket if I think I'm going to need it.shooting,fishing,training dogs etc.Got followed across the field one day by two guards.
When they approached me, I had my game bag,dog,and dressed in camo
I thought it would have been fairly obvious that I wasn't up to harm but still had to explain the multi tool when asked to empty my pockets :eek:

It's the same deal here m8. I work on the premise that the police are not stupid and a genuine explanation will suffice. The law is there to catch out the idiots not us lot :)

Back