• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Make your own knife challenge 2017

A don't mind the challenge joe av been wanting one for a wile now. If a do make one a will use high carbon steel instead of stainless. A think it would work better
Yes mate because it will hold a better edge, are you going to forge it or just cut and shape it?

Yes mate because it will hold a better edge, are you going to forge it or just cut and shape it?

Cut and shape joe...it's what I have to work with at the moment m8 but a will forge a blade from a length of metal one day. Next year am planing on putting a second larger shed in the garden for a workshop and then build a forge and take knife making to the next level...a would love to make knifes to order for people but am not there yet....much to learn.

Cut and shape joe...it's what I have to work with at the moment m8 but a will forge a blade from a length of metal one day. Next year am planing on putting a second larger shed in the garden for a workshop and then build a forge and take knife making to the next level...a would love to make knifes to order for people but am not there yet....much to learn.
Not there yet mate but you have the dedication to succeed

Sounds like an interesting build Mark :thumbsup:

I can see you with a forge in the garden soon.
Do you think you might get a polishing mop machine at some point.....and maybe a profiling jig?
Might also be good to explore some leatherwork and make the sheaths as well:thumbsup:

Sounds like an interesting build Mark :thumbsup:

I can see you with a forge in the garden soon.
Do you think you might get a polishing mop machine at some point.....and maybe a profiling jig?
Might also be good to explore some leatherwork and make the sheaths as well:thumbsup:

All in the pipeline my good man....
As for the profiling jig a like to throw myself in at the deep end with stuff like this so a will teach myself how to do it by hand and eye....mite mess it up the first few times:rofl: but a will get ther. Polishing wheel is on the cards at some point but a proffer the rugged hammed look (like myself :rofl:) and a have a few polishing mop's for the drill if needs be:thumbsup:

The forge in the garden will have to wait at the moment am looking into a few books or even a weeks course just to get me started. A will have one bill lol.

And the leather work....well a was hopefull you would be my bitch for that:rofl::rofl::rofl:
(Don't throw anything at me please:rofl:)
Couldn't help it bill yi Ken :whistle::rofl:

A think a will get into sheath making at some point this knife challenge a think the sheath must be made by me anyway so we will see how a get on lol.

Bitch .........she said.....a ken :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The course sounds good if you are serious about the craft....which you obviously are mate:thumbsup:

Bitch .........she said.....a ken :rofl::rofl::rofl:

The course sounds good if you are serious about the craft....which you obviously are mate:thumbsup:

It's a passion bill and something a have always wanted to do m8. From a young age watching the old Tarzan movies a have been interested in knifes....always had one...a would like my knifes to be used by other people and pass them on to there kids....a real good quality knife....that's a few years down the line when a have more experience but am setting my sights high lol

It's a passion bill and something a have always wanted to do m8. From a young age watching the old Tarzan movies a have been interested in knifes....always had one...a would like my knifes to be used by other people and pass them on to there kids....a real good quality knife....that's a few years down the line when a have more experience but am setting my sights high lol
Go for it mate, practice makes perfect

Don't need a forge Mark, I use an open campfire and a large granite stone as an anvil, get the knife a nice orange glow, drop in the oil and yer done. The knife I have sent you was made that way so you can see for yourself how easy and simple it can be :)

Don't need a forge Mark, I use an open campfire and a large granite stone as an anvil, get the knife a nice orange glow, drop in the oil and yer done. The knife I have sent you was made that way so you can see for yourself how easy and simple it can be :)

A like that idea m8....the last knife a made a used my BBQ and a hairdryer to heat treat it.

Forging a knife from raw materials with a hammer and anvil is something a look forward to.

Some more parts have arrived, by my build is put back to this winter ;)

Well I've finally got all the parts for my build (still deciding on the blade) I might even get this done over the summer if the weather carries on like it has been!

image.jpeg

Back