• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Making A Knife

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
i am thinking of making a knife , I have been reading up on stainless steel Vs carbon steel
it will be a good all rounder type knife to cut tree branches ect
work in engineering so materials are free lol
what would you guys go for stainless or high carbon steel

i am thinking of making a knife , I have been reading up on stainless steel Vs carbon steel
it will be a good all rounder type knife to cut tree branches ect
work in engineering so materials are free lol
what would you guys go for stainless or high carbon steel

For me it was high carbon...only because of the tools I had and it's a little easier than stainless. However my next knife will be stainless. Best practicing on scrap first mate

I can get am much s/s as I want mark , and got lots of tools, so I am leaning towards stainless
a right heavy one
I was thinking 5mm think by about 350mm long

I started messing around today ,don't know much about knife ,
IMG_20170911_114426845.jpg
IMG_20170911_114435602.jpg
IMG_20170911_114426845.jpg
IMG_20170911_130026451.jpg

awesome mark , love the handle what wood is it and, is that glued on

Not sure on the wood. Believe it or not a got the wood from a restaurant lol. A pinched it after they served me a burger on it :D it was the right thickness for a knife scale...wife wasn't so happy:) yeah swampy (if a may call you that sir ) there glued on but not well as one side started to raise

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: I wont be inviting you to dinner lol wont be a spoon left in my house , and will have to count the table legs before you leave :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
brilliant story yea call me what you like
I will upload some photos as I get along with my knife

:rofl:Wasn't my finest hour :) burger was good tho:rofl:

Here's a couple of short YouTube vids (sorry about the music lol)

Have you bled yet:rofl:

It is hard work lol....how did you find putting the bevel on it ? Did you do it free hand or jig?

yea all freehand with a grinder with a soft sanding disc on it

I could on done it on a cnc miller ,but I want to do it by hand

Back