• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Making Camp.

Nice video Keith, what can be better than setting up camp with the song birds singing in the background. You say it had been raining but everything there looked and sounded very dry

Nice video Keith, what can be better than setting up camp with the song birds singing in the background. You say it had been raining but everything there looked and sounded very dry
Once it stops raining here Joe the forest & woodland floor dries out pretty quickly. We don't have the autumn leaf fall that you have in England, more is the pitty. The ground is hard because of this.
Keith.

Once it stops raining here the forest & woodland floor dries out pretty quickly. We don't have the autumn leaf fall that you have in England, more is the pitty. The ground is hard because of this.
Keith.
I love the autumn colour of the leaf fall Keith but then it turns to sludge under your feet. Mind you many a time in the army I've raked up the damp leaves and put my sleeping bag on top, the leaves start composting and heating up so you stay nice and warm. Now there's a tip for the youngsters in a survival situation

I love the autumn colour of the leaf fall Keith but then it turns to sludge under your feet. Mind you many a time in the army I've raked up the damp leaves and put my sleeping bag on top, the leaves start composting and heating up so you stay nice and warm. Now there's a tip for the youngsters in a survival situation
Yes I miss the autumn colours & everything that comes with it. We do have some introduced species of trees around the house but not many. Some oaks down at the front gate, very slow growing. Some poplars & willows. What was it they said in the "Last of the Mohicans" movie, "make the world England". I guess we do that, we leave the old country because we need more room & more freedom, but we are for ever homesick Joe.
Keith

Yes I miss the autumn colours & everything that comes with it. We do have some introduced species of trees around the house but not many. Some oaks down at the front gate, very slow growing. Some poplars & willows. What was it they said in the "Last of the Mohicans" movie, "make the world England". I guess we do that, we leave the old country because we need more room & more freedom, but we are for ever homesick Joe.
Keith
I know the feeling Keith, I love the harsh stark beauty of the Yemen when I was there in the sixties but at the same time I missed the freshness of our southern hills and woods

Nice video, what sort of weight is the full kit that is carried, I'm assuming it's as authentic as possible to the original early settlers ?

Nice video, what sort of weight is the full kit that is carried, I'm assuming it's as authentic as possible to the original early settlers ?

As close as I can get from my research. No one to date left a record of everything they carried, except the military, & even then there would have been private items not recorded. I do know that not every woodsman carried spare gun lock springs & tools, but I choose to do so. There was always & will always be that element of personal choice that will make one persons equipment different from another's.
Keith.

As close as I can get from my research. No one to date left a record of everything they carried, except the military, & even then there would have been private items not recorded. I do know that not every woodsman carried spare gun lock springs & tools, but I choose to do so. There was always & will always be that element of personal choice that will make one persons equipment different from another's.
Keith.
I agree Keith likewise what I would carry for one situation I might not carry in another

Back