• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Making cordage

Nice clip Harry thanks for sharing.
This is something I have never tried but would like to give it a go........could be a Summer meet challenge.

Have you tried it yourself.......if so......how did you get on........how long did you manage to get your cordage?

Using small diameter sticks for a shelter would make perfect sense I think.......less cordage needed to tie.

Mr Mears makes it look so easy :D

Thanks for sharing.

Proper job Paul......hope you do make the meet.....be nice to see you again :thumbsup:
Aa sobering presence.....you know what the rest of them are like ......wild as Badgers :sneaky::whistle::rofl:

Not at all mate:rofl:.........You Badger away to your hearts content.........:rofl:........talking of Old Gits......you and @Joecole should get on like a house on fire:whistle::whistle::rofl:

Good video harry. Always like ray Mears “how to” videos :thumbsup:

That's exactly how I make the cordage to secure Palaeo Arrowheads. Here's a couple of arrowheads with foreshaft secured with Nettle fibre. It's very strong and easily available everywhere, not up to par with Hemp but close enough to be good material. Front of the arrow is bound with Nettle fibre to reinforce it. Fletchings are bound onto shaft with Nettle fibre and extended to reinforce Nock. This Fibre does have a nice colour when dried.

Attachments

• 195.JPG
    195.JPG
    213.7 KB · Views: 201
  • 196.JPG
    196.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 2013-09-23 12.05.06.jpg
    2013-09-23 12.05.06.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 206
  • 2013-09-23 12.05.06.jpg
    2013-09-23 12.05.06.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
Spot on that mate......is that resin you have applied the binding?
No just Nettle fibre cordage. I wet/dampen the fibre before putting it on by using my mouth, when dampened enough I twist the fibre a bit tighter and moisten again. When bound on tight the fibre dries and tightens up a bit more. I've made Pine pitch & Birch tar etc, but to be honest I rarely use it with a composite arrow, and to be honest I've found no advantage great enough to devote the time to make it.

Back