• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Do you own flint,steel & tinderbox & can you process plant & fungi tinders?

• NO

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but I can make fire by another primitive method.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Keith

Very Addicted
I don't think anyone on this forum can disagree that sustainability is important post shtf. We live now in a throw away society, & that will not cut it post shtf. Right now we have many choices of fire lighting items, matches, cigarette lighters, magnesium blocks, & ferocerium rods. None of which I personally consider to be sustainable methods. So, who among us has flint, steel & tinderbox & is able to properly process plant & fungi tinders & make fire with this method?
Who among us has mastered the fire-bow method of fire lighting & can make & use all the parts?
Does anyone here have other primitive fire lighting skills apart from the above? If so, what are they?
Keith.

Ystranc

I have moved over to using a piece of bastard grade file and trying it with any new rocks that I find. The Quartz that I find along the riverbed near to me will strike a spark off the file but it's a bit hit and miss. (Not as effective as a fero rod)
Non of the other local stones seem to be any good at all, I need to find a source of Flint.

I use a tinder box and do collect some tinder, usually seed heads but mainly I use charred cotton to take the spark. My other half sews so there is always an abundance of little off cuts. It's just a case of finding a use for it. I know it isn't sustainable long term.

I've created embers using a fire-drill but it took a long time and a lot of effort.

Keith

Very Addicted
I have moved over to using a piece of bastard grade file and trying it with any new rocks that I find. The Quartz that I find along the riverbed near to me will strike a spark off the file but it's a bit hit and miss. (Not as effective as a fero rod)
Non of the other local stones seem to be any good at all, I need to find a source of Flint.

I use a tinder box and do collect some tinder, usually seed heads but mainly I use charred cotton to take the spark. My other half sews so there is always an abundance of little off cuts. It's just a case of finding a use for it. I know it isn't sustainable long term.

I've created embers using a fire-drill but it took a long time and a lot of effort.
Is the file you use as is, or have you filed or ground a smooth surface on one edge?

Here you can see the lower edge of this piece of broken file is filed smooth, no file teeth.
Keith.

Ystranc

It always had one smooth edge called tha safe edge. (Used for filing into corners) for the most part I've been experimenting. I have most luck striking a spark off the edges of the file because I can hold it more rigidly like that.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
It always had one smooth edge called tha safe edge. (Used for filing into corners) for the most part I've been experimenting. I have most luck striking a spark off the edges of the file because I can hold it more rigidly like that.

Hold it loosely m8, almost so it moves in between your thumb and first finger, that way you get a more "glancing" blow. It sounds counter-intuitive but the lighter the touch the bigger the spark.

Barbara

Extremely Talkative
I don't think anyone on this forum can disagree that sustainability is important post shtf. We live now in a throw away society, & that will not cut it post shtf. Right now we have many choices of fire lighting items, matches, cigarette lighters, magnesium blocks, & ferocerium rods. None of which I personally consider to be sustainable methods. So, who among us has flint, steel & tinderbox & is able to properly process plant & fungi tinders & make fire with this method?
Who among us has mastered the fire-bow method of fire lighting & can make & use all the parts?
Does anyone here have other primitive fire lighting skills apart from the above? If so, what are they?
Keith.
Learning to use plant and fungi tinders is on my to do list. When our sons were young we (the 2 of them and me) used to see how we could make fire without using matches or lighters but we never succeeded with a bow. lt's still one way l'd love to conquer. Today's task, when the fire goes on later (lit with matches because OH is not a prepper and would wonder what l was up to otherwise) is to make some more char cloth out of bits of an old t shirt he donated to me for something else (when he's not looking).