• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Making char cloth
IMG_0965.JPG

IMG_0996.JPG

Keith

Very Addicted
Problem with charring cloth is that it is not sustainable long term. Also you do not need to carry an extra tin as my video shows, you char the material directly in the fire. But if you do want to make a lot of charred cloth in the home, then I agree, this is the way to do it.
Keith.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
It was more of a back up plan a would rather have it and not need it m8. My fire starting skills are not all that great lol but practice makes perfect lol

The Boogie Man

Quite Addicted
I use the stuff out of the tumble dryer from the filter. Very fine dry cloth fibres, it catches a spark really easily.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
I have a silver birch tree near me and the bark flakes off on a regular basis, I collect this as often as I can and I've got a large bagfull already.

Keith

Very Addicted
I use the stuff out of the tumble dryer from the filter. Very fine dry cloth fibres, it catches a spark really easily.
Is this using a real flint & steel Kublai, or are you using a ferocerium rod? Using modern fire lighting gadgets changes the meaning of traditional materials, which can make it confusing for newbies when they are learning primitive fire lighting skills.
Keith.

The Boogie Man

Quite Addicted
no mate I use a fero-rod,but it works with flint and steel, bow drill etc as the material catches light very easily.