• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register
Maltese Rabbit Stew

Recipe Maltese Rabbit Stew

brodie_76

Slightly Talkative
brodie_76 submitted a new resource:

Maltese Rabbit Stew - Maltese Rabbit Stew Recipe

This is delicious, and makes a change from conventional rabbit stew/casserole:

Ingredients:

• 1 large/2 small rabbits
  • 3 medium slices streaky bacon (smoked or unsmoked)
  • 2 tbsp Olive oil
  • Garlic cloves to taste (1 â€" 4)
  • 8 oz onion
  • 8 oz peas
  • 6 oz carrots
  • 2 glasses (½ pint ish) red wine
  • 400 g can whole, peeled plum tomatoes
  • 1-2 tsp sugar
  • Salt and black pepper

Method:

Chop onions and dice carrots. Fry in a heavy bottomed pan...

Read more about this resource...

Nice recipe, Brodie. Rabbit meat is one of the favourite meats in Malta, although it is farmed rabbit as all the wild ones have been shot, and pretty expensive too.

We cook it in several different ways, and this recipe is certainly fairly close to one of them, although my version doesn't include bacon. You didn't mention it, but the peas go in just a few minutes before the end.

Where I will take issue is how it is eaten - traditionally the sauce is served with pasta as a starter, and the meat is then eaten as a main course with (usually) chips and a salad.

Adrian

Thanks guys,

Pic added.

Adrian - Thanks for your thoughts on this - I've had this recipe for over thirteen years! I got it from a restaurant in Bugibba, but can't remember the name of it :(

Thanks for the eating tips - the way I posted is how they served it, and I suppose it has been served to suit the "British" palate!

Would you post any more recipes like this? Please?

I had one other rabbit dish that was tomato based but a little spicy too - it was delicious, possibly North African influence from the spiciness, and the sauce was really dark and rich too - yummy.

The bacon is an optional - My ex-sister-in-law is a chef and she told me often that to keep rabbit nice and moist it should be cooked with fatty bacon lardons - these can be quite expensive so plain bacon is a good substitute and works well with the tomatoes and red wine!

Cheers,

Brodie

Hello Brodie;

The other most common way of cooking rabbit in Malta is fried with white wine. I fry the rabbit pieces in a light olive oil until browned on all sides, then add sliced white onion and a little thinly sliced green pepper; fry for a few minutes more til the peppers start to colour and then add plenty of garlic. This can either be finely chopped garlic cloves or in winter in Malta the baby garlic is used, which looks like spring onion, and is delicious. When the garlic has started to colour add white wine, salt and pepper and a teaspoon of sugar. The trick is not to have it swimming in wine; you want just a finger's depth in the bottom of the pan, which should have a tight fitting lid. Now turn the heat down very low, and cook it slowly, checking regularly to see that it doesn't stick, and adding wine little by little. It is not good to cook it in too much depth of wine. Keep cooking until the rabbit is very tender. This is best served with chips and salad, and crusty Maltese bread.

One way I like to do it, which is not so traditionally Maltese but still good, is to marinade for a couple of hours and then cook it in Marsala wine. The cooking is much as for the white wine recipe, but much less garlic, and I use sliced mushrooms instead of peppers; and at the end when the last of the Marsala is reduced I stir in some double cream. This is good with roast potatoes, green beans etc.

Don't forget the rabbit livers! I use them to make a first course; I cut into finger-strips, and lightly fry in butter with a little garlic; when they have browned but are still pink inside I add some brandy, and season it, and when the brandy has reduced to make a thick sauce plonk it on individual servings of mixed leaf salad that has been tossed in a sweet vinaigrette. It is pretty good.

Adrian

Back