• Welcome to Life In The Wilderness

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Man Made Disasters.

lonewolf

Neo Luddite Prepared Survivalist.
I don't think just because something hasn't happened before or hasn't happened for a long time that we can discount it and say "it'll never happen".
in the 21st century in the UK a lot of things are getting to the acute stage, the NHS is creaking at the seams, there is a housing crisis in this country, the homeless numbers are increasing, people using food banks, the council services are being cut and cut again due to budget constraints, and yet the population levels keep on rising.
then you have ISIS and domestic terrorism.
political incompetence by all parties could also be a factor, then you've got NK, Russian cyber hacking.
I think that in the 21st century prepping just isn't a good hobby to have I think its more of a downright necessity!!!
it ought to be made mandatory.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Befor isis we had ira and we the uk have always had problems and we always get by. 21st century is no different mate imo

One could prep for 20 years and nothing will happen. If that’s all one dose and only focuses on the world as we know it will end then it sounds like a waste of a life. Best being prepared and enjoying ones life to.

Preparation has its place in moderation only.

Ystranc

Problem is that many people are already living a hand to mouth existence and have no way of putting a little aside for a rainy day or they don't even have access to enough green space to practice any skills. City dwellers have become almost totally insulated from nature.
We definitely need to do more to promote preparedness as a country but many will need help to get started down the right path...courses on gathering, firelighting etc. to get them engaged with the joy of being outdoors again.

Cadets and Scouting used to fulfil this but in recent years the nanny state mentality has meant that less and less skills are seen as socially acceptable. Ask a kid to break a rabbits neck and skin it and everyone thinks that you're some kind of psycho.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
there’s two sides to that tho ystranc. City folk have there own skill set. More and more cities are promoting out door activities in all aspects including nursery right up to universities. Solar panels are the norm in cities now. Thousands of city folk now do re-enactment and venture into the country side. Am not disagreeing mate am just seeing both sides of the fence lol.

A balance between preparation and living should be made. Unless one lives a true homestead lifestyle then “power of” wouldn’t affect them.

lonewolf

Problem is that many people are already living a hand to mouth existence and have no way of putting a little aside for a rainy day or they don't even have access to enough green space to practice any skills. City dwellers have become almost totally insulated from nature.
We definitely need to do more to promote preparedness as a country but many will need help to get started down the right path...courses on gathering, firelighting etc. to get them engaged with the joy of being outdoors again.

Cadets and Scouting used to fulfil this but in recent years the nanny state mentality has meant that less and less skills are seen as socially acceptable. Ask a kid to break a rabbits neck and skin it and everyone thinks that you're some kind of psycho.
i bet scouts aren't even allowed to have knives anymore and I think there is less emphasis on firelighting these days.
living in a city one can lose all connection to the outdoors and countryside unless one does something positive about it.
this was brought home to the wife and myself when we had town relatives visiting for a week, talk about clueless about "the country code".

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
Nope lol. My daughter was in the scouts and even tho the safety needs have changed they still teach the same as always.

A know a few lads that live in the city that know all about country code

There’s always exceptions and more so these days with YouTube and social media. Even a few weekend Rambo’s lol.

lonewolf

there are always exceptions but just how many are there? probably very few in a population of 65 million, maybe a few thousand or so.

lonewolf

Befor isis we had ira and we the uk have always had problems and we always get by. 21st century is no different mate imo

One could prep for 20 years and nothing will happen. If that’s all one dose and only focuses on the world as we know it will end then it sounds like a waste of a life. Best being prepared and enjoying ones life to.

Preparation has its place in moderation only.
we each prepare in our own way, some prepare for minor events only, some prepare for TEOTWAWKI.
nobody can force anyone to do something they don't want to.
but I always say, I would rather prepare and not need it than not prepare and need it.
we none of us have a crystal ball and so we cannot know what is coming or isn't coming, I for one do not want to be found wanting when it does happen.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
A never said to force someone lone am just saying at what point is to much. Living a life in preparation of shtf all the time is a wasted life imo. Now living a homesteads life because of the lifestyle is not preparation it’s living and something I intended on working to.

A think everyone would agree that it’s better to have and not need. But even this can be taken to far. You are right in the facts lone but not in the solutions mate. Facts being our country is going through rough time but this country has its fair share of good and bad and probably always will.

And a would say there’s a very strong possibility more than 60% of the uk’s population know how to survive and practice survival in some way

lonewolf

i'm not saying we should force anyone, far from it, i'm saying if they don't want to do it they wont.
if someone thinks prepping is a waste of time then maybe they should go off and do something else instead and forget all about prepping.
just because something hasn't happened for 70 or 100 years dosent mean it cant happen, and I think that it is more likely to happen now than at any time in the past, because of things I have already listed.
I also believe your estimate of 60% is way over estimate.

Ystranc

Mark, I was really trying to describe the lack of opportunity to experience the countryside that many city dwellers experience. I have seen with my own eyes how city kids seem to come alive when they get into the countryside for the first time, sure it's all baby chicks and lambs at first and they don't see the blood and guts of it all but it's definitely an awakening.
Yes, there are now city farms for kids to experience these things but it's a matter of numbers and percentages. Not every child gets the same opportunity or input, many parents and teachers are clueless about even the basics when it comes to nature so how can they pass on a love of the great outdoors to the kids?
I accept that city folks have their own skill sets and I wish them well, I'm not trying to derogate them in any way...I'm simply saying that more people need to learn some very basic skills at an early age to set them on their path toward being prepared for a cataclysmic change in our circumstances.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
@ystranc As a said mate am not disagreeing with you a was just putting my 2pc worth in. Sorry if it came across any other way. :thumbsup:

Both myself and my wife have family in cities and country. I have had my share of both also. The only thing I disagree with is heavy loading the need to prep and our systems shutting down completely. And sending out panic amongst people... Also it will shut down that fast that only the ones with food stock would survive. And I only look at it that way because I have found nothing to suggest other wise.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
i'm not saying we should force anyone, far from it, i'm saying if they don't want to do it they wont.
if someone thinks prepping is a waste of time then maybe they should go off and do something else instead and forget all about prepping.
just because something hasn't happened for 70 or 100 years dosent mean it cant happen, and I think that it is more likely to happen now than at any time in the past, because of things I have already listed.
I also believe your estimate of 60% is way over estimate.

Never said you did mate

Last edited:

lonewolf

in days gone by, not that long ago, people knew that they had to put stuff back in the good times to see them through the lean years, they all had larders, nowadays most people use the supermarkets as their larders and just buy as they need, what they seem to forget or maybe don't know, is that we have a "just in time" delivery system, which is fine when everything works okay but as we get a lot of stuff from the other side of the world it only needs a slight hiccup in the manufacturing, processing, packaging or delivery system to bring everything crashing down.
we saw at least part of this during the "fuel protests" many years ago, shut down the refineries and it just didn't affect fuel deliveries it also affected food deliveries to the shops. and this was only for a week and was announced well in advance although a lot of people just ignored the warning. milk and bread went first, fresh food next and the tins went last of all, the shelves were empty within 48 hours.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
And yet we survived lone. Am not totally against your views mate. A just can’t see everything failing in the way you describe it. What a can see is les and less rural places because of demand for homes. But not a total collapse in life

lonewolf

i was just using the fuel protests as an example of how quickly stuff can run out, we were living in Somerset back then and the local Morrisons supermarket had lots of empty shelves within 48 hours and the local filling station had run out of fuel within one day. of course this particular event only lasted one week and everyone knew when it would end, but just imagine that it had no end and was ongoing, it shut down the deliveries to the supermarkets and the petrol stations, I wonder how long before other businesses ceased to function, most companies need deliveries-both in and out- to function.

greenbear

Extremely Addicted
Funnily enough the fuel strike did not affect me. Within hours of it starting the pumps were dry of unleaded (panic buying) but I had an old land rover and it ran on 4 star (anyone remember that?) and that was freely available. I drove through the whole strike, and it was nice that the roads were empty for a change ;)

lonewolf

of course even though the fuel protest was announced in advance people were still running their tanks dry before refilling, we filled ours up in advance and didn't go anywhere very far that week just local journeys.

lonewolf

forget that it was a fuel "protest" it could have been a fuel SHORTAGE, or any number of other causes, in which case it might have gone on for a long time, it could be very interesting if it had.

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
It was a pain right enough but the uk pulled through. A remember it well. Myself and My father and mother still went to work. There will be a shortage of fuel at some point and when that happens something will take its place imo. Still it’s good advice to be ready for such incidents. It’s situation like that I will agree fully. One should be prepared!