• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Managed to road (snow) test the Iron Wall tent

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
A quick jaunt into the snowy woods today to try out the Iron Wall tent.
Quite a long vid for me this time so skip to 4:06 to see me putting up the tent if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

I think that, other than the size of the toggles and the length of the supplied pegs I couldn't find much fault with it though I haven't tested it overnight yet.
It's quite light and very quick to erect though I think it does need a footprint for winter.

Nice wee video Paul.....thanks for sharing :)

Could tell you were made up by being out and about and trying out the new shelter and other bits......lucky man :)
You explained the need for a few modifications and mods to the set up......pegs being one of them.
A lot of people feel the same about the pegs supplied with most tents/shelters as standard.......they are not good in mulch covered forest floor or sand and snow.

These are a popular alternative and offer better security and anchorage for those situations.

There are a few ways to use these pegs.....whatever suits your needs and the type of shelter you have........you can use sticks to do the same job.....but who wants to be wandering about cutting sticks if its pouring down with rain :D......needless to say its worth going for the larger examples if buying them.

Might be worth the investment mate.

The "Iron Wall" looks to be a nice roomy shelter......are you thinking of adding a stove for a bit of hot tenting?

Very nice mate :)

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the bird call at 03:07 is?

@1 shot willie
2021-01-21 18_18_07-Window.png

👍Good wee vid ,my wee Stanley has endured many brew ups and its wee plastic thingy hasn't melted yet......although haven't tried hitting it oan the nut with a hot frying pan😁

Attachments

• 20210123_191740.jpg
    20210123_191740.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 59
A quick jaunt into the snowy woods today to try out the Iron Wall tent.
Quite a long vid for me this time so skip to 4:06 to see me putting up the tent if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

I think that, other than the size of the toggles and the length of the supplied pegs I couldn't find much fault with it though I haven't tested it overnight yet.
It's quite light and very quick to erect though I think it does need a footprint for winter.

Good stuff, thank you.

Interesting about modding the tent, as I modded my Smokey Hut (V. similar) but in my case, differing mods.......but yes the toggles are irritatingly small!

The only thing that I've ever heard that sounded remotely like that Bird call was a long time ago, and that was a Red Necked Grebe. They are quite rare, on the endangered list in fact, but they do Winter in the Uk. They like open water, so won't be found far from it. They make an occasional 'Hooting' sound and a ' Clacking' noise.
It was a long time ago, I was camped in the Cheviot Hills near Rothbury and there is a Bird Reserve inland from there at Harbottle. But the emphasis is on the word Remotely because I only heard it once and then someone else had to tell me what made the call, so it's only a wild guess I'm afraid. 🤷‍♂️

@G1ZmO

Worth having a read about Crows Paul.....very intelligent birds......some good clips on "You Tube" showing just how intelligent they are :thumbsup:

@G1ZmO

Worth having a read about Crows Paul.....very intelligent birds......some good clips on "You Tube" showing just how intelligent they are :thumbsup:
There was some work in Germany awhile ago, which suggested that not only could they memorize faces, but pass that memory on down through subsequent generations.............

On the farm once , I had a pet rook...used to feed it on piglet bollocks, lol!

There was some work in Germany awhile ago, which suggested that not only could they memorize faces, but pass that memory on down through subsequent generations.............

On the farm once , I had a pet rook...used to feed it on piglet bollocks, lol!
Interesting @lol 🤔

Must admit I have fed a few on the farms.....mostly .25......33.95 gr........🤭

• Haha
Reactions: Bam
Funnily enough I tend to leave crows alone. I don't have issues with them as they do me no harm. Most of the farms lamb indoors here. The crow shoots are more to do with tradition.
Pigeons, rabbits, squirrels and mink get no mercy.

Reactions: Bam
Must admit, as I don't eat them ( the bollocks or the Corvids) I don't shoot them........

Now: the Iron Wall tent..........sorry guys, my bad...........

Back