• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Marino wool base layers

Hi Erbs.

Most of the base layers are quite a tight fit as they should be.
I can see the advantage of a zip in a Mid layer though............ for venting and temperature control 👍

I use this here from Decathlon and like them, but they are relatively new. I cant say, how long they last.

long johns they sell too.

They are 100% merino. I guess, the mixed from mountain warehouse are a bit stronger?

(In my Aldi 100% merino underwear I managed to make some holes by putting them on and off. But they are thinner.)

Do you have Tchibo coffee shops in Britain?

They sell currently thin V-neck jumpers for around 30€.
I bought it because I think additional that's nice.

I prefere to look very elegant in the bush. You never know who you will meet there, so far you should meet anybody...

;0)

I also have the Forclaz from Decathlon. They do their job, but we are still talking about budget Merino wool here.
For skiing it would actually make a difference in my opinion - yet for regular outdoor activities I can recommend the Decathlon set.

I bought the Decathlon 190 because I expected them not to be to hot when I am moving.
I had fear to buy the expensive Ullfrotte Woolpower 200 hunting underwear and would have to see in the end, that they are to warm for hiking in Germany.

I bought in a red cross shop for 3€ a used light woolen jumper to wear it over the cotton shirt additional. And this combination is working very well.

That light jumpers you can get in Germany everywhere used very cheap in very good conditions, because people wear them in the office and change them because the fashion colours change every year from middle grey to bright grey, from bright middle grey to green gray, over dark grey to middle dark grey. So people have to change them...

;0)

No, it doesn't.

Every where Sellers tell that story.
But it is untrue.

In my opinion the most comfortable in the summer is very thin cotton T-shirt +merino layer + thin cotton shirt.
Or cotton, cotton, woolen jumper or jacket.

I use shirts one size larger, so that I can wear the wool layer over or under it, depending on temperature and wind speed. On top comes the waterproof if needed as rain cover or windstopper.

In the winter cotton T-Shirt or long merino or both, or both merino, short and long + thicker cotton shirt as wind stopper, thin woolen jumper and light quilted jacket with plastic fibre filling like a sleeping bag + waterproof cover as outer layer, usually open. I am looking for a used thin and very light woolen jacket. When I find it, I will throw the quilted plastic jacket out of the system.

Cotton layers are necessary as wind stoppers in between if we want to open and close the outer layers.

If not the wind can blow through the wool layers easily. Especially if that is a knitted fabric. But knitted fabrics are very light and movement friendly, if you compare the insulation power to woven woolen fabrics!
A woolen military blanket or old wind proof military coat is very heavy!

Cotton sucks sweat away from the body and if it's not to thick the next wool layer pulls the water out of the cotton and transports it outside.

In my opinion plastic fibres are the worst.
I use them only as outer layers, because they are able to dry very fast, if they got whet with a bit spray rain.
But so far I can see, they do not transport moisture very well. Fleece doesn't do it well and a sleeping bag jacket is nothing for moving persons.

Fleece works in one layer in a summer evening. But it doesn't work well in a several layer system.

I think, If you wear a closed suit, plastic could perhaps work the best in high speed movement. But we as hikers can open and close the layers for temperature regulation.
Amd than nature fibres are far more comfortable than plastic clothing.

(And what can happen if you set plastic fibres in fire is really a nightmare! Cotton means fire protection, wool doesn't burn very well too. The Wehrmacht used mainly wool. The old Bundeswehr only cotton, because they prefered the better fire protection.
But the Wehrmacht equipment was far more comfortable!)

When I was young I used cotton T-shirt, thick cotton shirt, woolen jumper, light woolen Jacket, rubberised Bundeswehr rain poncho.
cotton breefs, cotton long johns, leather trousers till the knee, woolen socks till the knee, leather boots.

That worked extremely well.

In the last years I used every plastic clothing they tried to sell me.

Since two years I slowly return to the old system, but using long Polyester cotton trousers, polyester cotton shirt and so on.
I returned to use as much wool as possible in the winter and as much as possible cotton in hot and dry conditions like the summer in the south of France.

(That is -by the way - nearly exactly what the Wehrmacht gave the soldiers. They got both to choose! One was the spare uniform for the other in the ruck sack. They got wool and linen clothing.
Unfortunately it isn't so easy to get linen fabric now a days. To expensive to produce and sell, and it lasts for decades, who wants to sell that???)

That old mixtures are simply far more comfortable.
It doesn't matter, what the seller use to write and speak.

Cotton-Wool mix is the best for the inner layers. Around 30% of Polyester inside the fabrics help to dry them faster if they became whet from rain or after washing.

For the comfort it doesn't matter at the shirt, but for the trousers it's the best to take the mix, because in light short rain it's better to let the legs become a bit whet than to use water proof trousers, if the polycotton trousers atearele to dry out fast on the man.

I have several of the round neck Marino wool tops from Mountain Warehouse, I wear them as tshirts. I think very highly of them and would reccomend them to anyone.
Their only downside is that they wear out over belt buckles or similar.

I have several of the round neck Marino wool tops from Mountain Warehouse, I wear them as tshirts. I think very highly of them and would reccomend them to anyone.
Their only downside is that they wear out over belt buckles or similar.

Been wearing min all day....very comfortable

May be that in Britain you can use merino T-shirts as first base layers all around the year.

I like to wear them directly on the body in winter times using only the thick military cotton shirt as internal wind stopper.

But in the summer in Germany and especially in France that's to warm and sweaty. I think, that could be a question of temperatures and I guess you have lower temperatures and stronger wind in the summer.

Merino starts stinking later than cotton and cotton later than plastics.
I can wear a merino base layer for one week 24 hours every day before I like to wash it.

Why do you all write "marino"?
Isn't it "merino" in English too?

Only sailors on board here, or what?

Back