• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Massive Bell!

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
Well we've gone and bought a HUGE bell tent for family camping (and for the Wales meet at Mike's place so I hope there's plenty space!)
It's a 5m canvas one and weighs a ton! (well 40kg DRY)

Glamping here we come! :rofl:

So, a question for those who have these. When it says it'll leak the first time it gets wet, is this badly or just a few drips? o_O

It'd be ideal if we could put it up at home, soak it and then let it dry but we don't have a garden big enough and can't guarantee when it would be dry weather. May just need to take the chance in April.

Shrewd move, you will love it. When you said 5m I thought 'Holy moly' but if you've got the family with you it makes sense. I have heard the wet tent rumour many times but I have never met anybody who has experienced it. It may be an archaic myth and modern manufactures use much better proofing than they did when Joe was fighting the first World War. If you get dry weather in Wales you can always chuck some water at it to 'season' the canvas - there again, Welsh rain my well do the job for you - the result will be the same.

To be honest, I think Daniel will probably opt to hang inthe trees if that's an option as he's 17 and probably won't want to share sleeping in the same tent as his parents. 😁 In the long term the tent will be more for us and the grandkids I expect. They're 2 and 7 at the moment.

To be honest, I think Daniel will probably opt to hang inthe trees if that's an option as he's 17 and probably won't want to share sleeping in the same tent as his parents. 😁 In the long term the tent will be more for us and the grandkids I expect. They're 2 and 7 at the moment.
There are trees suitable for hammocks, either close to the group or further away down at the bottom of the orchard. We aim to please.

Lovely things.....
Love my bell tent (Solace)........... don't get to use it enough though :(

RE leaking...the idea is to weather it, by giving it a GOOD soaking then letting it dry. The weave then "takes up".....but
a/ it will be a few drops..........if any at all.
b/ so let the weather do it when you use it...except, apparently in Wales, where it NEVER rains?
c/ NEVER......spray it with a proofer. :)

..........a smaller tent, but testing the water; would anyone here be searching for a MINT Robens Fairbanks?

..........a smaller tent, but testing the water; would anyone here be searching for a MINT Robens Fairbanks?
Not in my current state of penury… I’m supposed to be getting rid of stuff not buying more 🤣 I do wish you guys would stop with the temptations

Back