• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mauser German Army pocket knife

Ystranc

Administrator
Staff member
Another legal carry similar to the Victrinox Swiss Army knife. Very robust and an excellent blade that keeps a great edge (even if it is stainless)
Knife, high quality saw with a safety cover, screwdriver, gimlet, bottle opener and corkscrew (obviously the German army has got its priorities right for including the last two)
It's cheaper to buy than a comparable Victrinox and every bit as good.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 666
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 621
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    213 KB · Views: 1,170
Last edited:
Yep like that mate......looks great quality and sturdy build.
The saw looks like it may actually be of good use.
I do have a Vitrinox.....but that Mauser looks far stronger.........nice.

The famous BW - Stumpf!

officially:
BW TM, stumpf
Bundeswehr Taschen Messer, stumpf
(German Army pocket knife, dull)

It's a bit longer than the normal Swiss ones.
But Victorinox delivered (later) some similar looking to the Bundeswehr too.

Funnily I never had one. My father liked skiing in Switzerland, and so I got a Victorinox Spartan, when I was 6 years old and sticked with that.

At the BW-Stumpf is missing the tin opener, because that is part of the (very good but very heavy) BW Cutlery kit.

Somehow it was ment good, but made bad:

It wasn't allowed to drink wine, beer cans and bottles are opened easily without it. The saw is relatively useless for a normal soldier. Screw driver to far from the handle.
Double in function with the cutlery kit and the fix blade knife.

People compared it with their civil Victorinox and prefered that.

(I think, it was constructed by the older generation, who knew, that in France and Italy the corkscrew was the most important tool during the war.
May be they developed it when France left the NATO)

;0)

Erbwurst, you're so right about the screwdriver being too long, without the guard on the saw blade it would be a bit dangerous to use such a long screwdriver on a folding knife. That is a very valid point, your post was important feedback and information that contributes a great deal to this review. Thank you. :)
I like it a lot all the same and would definitely reccomend it.

Last edited:
Erbwurst, you're so right about the screwdriver being too long, without the guard on the saw blade it would be a bit dangerous to use such a long screwdriver on a folding knife. That is a very valid point, your post was important feedback and information that contributes a great deal to this review. Thank you. :)
I like it a lot all the same and would definitely reccomend it.
As nice as it is I still prefer my Victorinox

I was after one of these not so long ago but I think that they are becoming quite collectable/rare now & are not that easy to find. I think the equivalent Victorinox may well be cheaper as a result.

Victorinox Mauser Swiss Army Knife

You can get a Mil-Tec copy

German Army pocket knife
You're welcome to make me an offer, i believe this one is the Victorinox GAK. If I sell enough of my collection I may be able to afford a Daystate.

Last edited:
Räer in Hildesheim sells used original German Army knifes for 10 €.

No Idea, if they deliver to Britain.

They write, it would be made by several manufacturers.

Mauser and Victorinox produced exactly the same pattern. No idea, who else.

I have original Bundeswehr shirts from minimum 10 manufacturers. Perhaps are existing more manufacturers of the pin nife too.

But Miltec surely isn't original, and surely a bad copy.
I bought a lot of miltec stuff and all was very disappointing!

As I understand it this particular knife was manufactured for the west German border police but that information is only anecdotal.

The western Border Patrol, Bundes Grenz Schutz shortened BGS, was armed before Western Germany reorganised the Army.

They got the newest Wehrmacht equipment in Camouflage, a special police green, and in blue and grey some equipment was produced too.
I have a tent, a haversack, a mess kit, a cuttlery kit, a kanteen, a rucksack from this time. Most are original Wehrmacht patterns, produced after the war in different colours, the tent was like the Austrian camouflage tent a larger Version, of the Wehrmacht triangular tent parts, which wasn't in use before 1945 so far I am informed.

Later they got more civil looking police uniforms, but they had Bundeswehr equipment or similar things in the wardrobe.

Till the times of Gorbatschow the totally normal police in Berlin learned to shoot with maschine guns! Not only maschine pistols, not automatic guns, no original Wehrmacht maschine guns!

Germany was in the cold war a theoretic battle field. Even postmen and other men in public service were asked in Berlin to join a paramilitaric club called"Freiwillige Polizei Reserve" (police reserve volunteers) which had been more an army than a police.

The whole german police was using olive green uniforms, a different green, than the army, but it was green, and I guess there wasn't only the reason, that in earlier times they had been green too, when the army was grey.

Back