• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Wales May bank holiday meet 2022

No but my father has… yew can be a bit hard to get hold of these days as most mature yew have a TPO or are in the gardens of stately homes and churchyards. We do have an elegant sufficiency of ash and a little bit of wytch elm.

No but my father has… yew can be a bit hard to get hold of these days as most mature yew have a TPO or are in the gardens of stately homes and churchyards. We do have an elegant sufficiency of ash and a little bit of wytch elm.
Always tickles me that you always find yew in churchyards and the reason behind it.

Can you also let me know if the bow making is going ahead so I can work out what is happening with the Ash trees…
I'm going to put my name down for this - @Matt please note. If you're going to take some ash down you'd beter do it PDQ, before the sap comes up. You supply the bowstaves, I can take it from there.

I'm going to put my name down for this - @Matt please note. If you're going to take some ash down you'd beter do it PDQ, before the sap comes up. You supply the bowstaves, I can take it from there.
You will be more than welcome at the meet. The ash are already down, they were dropped a couple of weeks before the storms. I just needed to know if they were going to be needed for bow making or were going to be cut up to go into the 2023 fire wood stack. I’m just hoping that we can find some suitable wood amongst it all for the guys to use.

You will be more than welcome at the meet. The ash are already down, they were dropped a couple of weeks before the storms. I just needed to know if they were going to be needed for bow making or were going to be cut up to go into the 2023 fire wood stack. I’m just hoping that we can find some suitable wood amongst it all for the guys to use.
Thanks for the welcome. Good to know that the ash are already down. We will need them to be cut into approx 2metre (6'6") lengths. Ideally straight(ish) and knot free. If you can half or quarter them so much the better, but I have the tools to do that if you can't. It would be useful to know how many budding bowyers we will be dealing with.

+1 for the Bow making activity please :thumbsup:
You have just volunteered for two days-worth of bloody hard work. :) Worth it though, when you have a nice shooting bow that you made yourself at the end of it. If you have a draw knife and spoke shave please bring them, I can provide everything else you'll need. Any more volunteers for my patent torture treatment? :)

You have just volunteered for two days-worth of bloody hard work. :) Worth it though, when you have a nice shooting bow that you made yourself at the end of it. If you have a draw knife and spoke shave please bring them, I can provide everything else you'll need. Any more volunteers for my patent torture treatment? :)
Sadly I’ll have to pass as well, work isn’t likely to be stopping for me even though I’m the host for this meet. I’m very happy to help you set up though. Let me know if there is anything else that you need doing before hand.
Hopefully Mark might commit to coming down, you never know.

Sadly I’ll have to pass as well, work isn’t likely to be stopping for me even though I’m the host for this meet. I’m very happy to help you set up though. Let me know if there is anything else that you need doing before hand.
Hopefully Mark might commit to coming down, you never know.
I'm not sure who Mark is, what with us mostly having secret cyber-names. Maybe @Matt could give him a 'bump'?

5BAE8543-F45E-42C9-B88B-909B94D4DB6B.gif

You cant miss him Paul......here he is :sneaky:

Back