• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

mayonnaise jars

swamp rat

Extremely Talkative
dose any one know if you can use mayonnaise jars for canning, and if so what lids do you need
garden is growing well with this good weather, and hoping to can some tomatoes this year

Very doubtful, they are fine for pickles but I'd not even think of canning with them.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000SN0...olid=2OSN4J1ZKBO21&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Toms dehydrate fine too.
On the same subject Harry it looks like we are going to have a good outdoor Tomato harvest this year and rather than canning them we're thinking about making Tomato sauce base for Chilli/Bolognese etc. We've never made this before for storage, so using the same principle of sterilised Kilner jars filled with piping hot sauce and then sealed, would you consider it a safe method?
Cheers.

thanks for the link harry, but it does not make any sense to pay £58 for 12 jars when
I could buy jarred food from a super market for a fraction of the price
I am looking for that cheap tweak prep lol

Re using commercial screw top jars will not work with a pressure canner but they would be fine for jams, honey or acidic pickles. The pressure canner is used for cooking low acid foods as they can be cooked in excess of 130 degrees C to destroy any chance of bacteria and then cool while still inside the pressure vessel, as they cool the food contracts so the jar creates a vacuum seal. Once you have a vacuum sealed jar you can remove it and apply the outer screw on ring for storage. You'll also find that you need a new seal each time. You can't do this with commercial screw top lids

Back