• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Meindl Dovre Extreme GTX

Ark79

Site Manager
Staff member
I’ve been pondering over these boots for a while now, i like the reviews and also know a few folk that swear buy them.... anyone here had a pair?

Wow that price would bring a tear or two for sure, you have obviously done your homework on them, if that's your thing go for it.

I’ve been pondering over these boots for a while now, i like the reviews and also know a few folk that swear buy them.... anyone here had a pair?

I have the full leather version. They're very nice to wear but they're heavy compared to ordinary hiking boots...you won't feel it if you're shooting or doing bushcraft but over a long hike you'll really feel it.
Second negative is that the soles wear quite fast.
Good points are comfort, waterproofing, ankle protection, compatible with crampons etc. These are my second pair so they're not all that bad, personally I intend to save up a little more and buy welted boots next time as the rubber scuff guard/rand around the sole seems to delaminate and come away from the leather. I would also recommend Altberg Veldhog if you can stand to wait for them.
These photos show mine, they've had a hard life.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I have the full leather version. They're very nice to wear but they're heavy compared to ordinary hiking boots...you won't feel it if you're shooting or doing bushcraft but over a long hike you'll really feel it.
Second negative is that the soles wear quite fast.
Good points are comfort, ankle protection, compatible with crampons etc.

Not to worried about the feeling it over a long hike mate, but I’m thinking about the quick wearing soles.... that’s food for thought Mike as there pretty expensive. How quick??? First time I’ve heard that about them tho

Wow that price would bring a tear or two for sure, you have obviously done your homework on them, if that's your thing go for it.

There’s a couple of pairs of boot that’s took my fancy lol it’s between these ones or le chameau, however there dearer..

@Ark79 @Ystranc

Meindl do offer a resoling and repair service......here:

From the information they give it will be down to your judgment wether the boots and leather are still in good enough order for the resole service to be a viable option.

Goes without saying but......regular cleaning and polishing/treatment of the leather and materials will definitely extend the lifespan of most boots.

The soles on these boots are probably made of softer rubber then some other makes.....offering better grip and cushioning......much less slip over wet rocks.......the harder rubber on other makes may last a tad longer but will not return the same performance nor grip.

May be an option.........might not.

@Ark79 @Ystranc

Meindl do offer a resoling and repair service......here:

From the information they give it will be down to your judgment wether the boots and leather are still in good enough order for the resole service to be a viable option.

Goes without saying but......regular cleaning and polishing/treatment of the leather and materials will definitely extend the lifespan of most boots.

The soles on these boots are probably made of softer rubber then some other makes.....offering better grip and cushioning......much less slip over wet rocks.......the harder rubber on other makes may last a tad longer but will not return the same performance nor grip.

May be an option.........might not.

As you say regular maintenance on the fabric/leather will extend the lifespan, at these prices I would expect a couple of years before I would need to put a new sole on them, hopefully lol

I looked at the price of resoling mine and instead went to Gibbs outdoors in Brecon and bought a new pair of Scarpa boots instead. I still wear the Meindl boots with crampons when I'm working on really slick clay surfaces because the ankle support is beyond compare better than low boots. Clay soil eats leather like you wouldn't believe.
The stitching is still perfect and while the leather has creases there are no actual cracks, I have no complaints about how they're made.

Or these lol

These are more expensive but still an option

I've no experience of Chameau boots but I don't rate Lowa at all after losing the soles off a pair of summer boots.

No thanks Mark I'm more than happy with my karimors for walking (although I can't do much of that these days) they have a lovely flexible sole and are nice and light. For rougher terrain I use my Peter Storm full leather boots which have a stiffer sole. Both pairs are 100% waterproof and about quarter the price you want to pay

Cancel my last Mark......just had a look.....2 year guarantee apparently........any major faults should show up during that time period......if any.
If the boots are for recreation use mostly in the woods and not hard work on a building site they should last a good while.

Sod it......be brave and hit the button mate.....you know you want to :)

Back