• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Members Dogs

This morning I was spannering up a ladder while my wife was doing something similar lower down. The Boy was on patrol keeping a eye on the edge of the forest when a young male antilopine came bouncing out of the bush onto the airstrip. And then chase was on.... My wife had a camera at hand and snapped a few pics of the pursuit. So if anybody's been wondering whether a young wolf can catch a kangaroo... :)

The Roo cruises along leisurely and The Boy can't get anywhere near... It slips back into the forest leaving its pursuer peering after it..

Alan

IMG_4532.JPG
IMG_4533.JPG
IMG_4535.JPG
IMG_4539.JPG
IMG_4543.JPG

This morning I was spannering up a ladder while my wife was doing something similar lower down. The Boy was on patrol keeping a eye on the edge of the forest when a young male antilopine came bouncing out of the bush onto the airstrip. And then chase was on.... My wife had a camera at hand and snapped a few pics of the pursuit. So if anybody's been wondering whether a young wolf can catch a kangaroo... :)

The Roo cruises along leisurely and The Boy can't get anywhere near... It slips back into the forest leaving its pursuer peering after it..

Alan

View attachment 29516View attachment 29517View attachment 29518View attachment 29519View attachment 29520
Just about the best thing in the world for a dog. I'll bet he was pleased with himself.

Congratulations to your Mrs Alan, those are pretty good action shots...

Wolves.....0
Roos ........ 1
happy0034.gif

Attachments

• happy0034.gif
    happy0034.gif
    139 bytes · Views: 17
Maybe next time 😊
Bill, the sun has yet to rise on the day a doggo can catch a roo!

Our local coyote pack occasionally bring down a youngster by working as a team and heading it off. But the maximum speed of an adult roo must be twice that of a regular doggo.

My boy just chases for fun because he's a shepherd -and its his job to clear wild animals off the airstrip.

Alan

Last edited:
Bill, the sun has yet to rise on the day a doggo can catch a roo!

Our local coyote pack occasionally bring down a youngster by working as a team and heading it off. But the maximum speed of an adult roo must be twice that of a regular doggo.

My boy just chases for fun because he's a shepherd -and its his job to clear wild animals off the airstrip.

Alan
It's probably just as well that he can't catch them Alan because I would imagine that even
a half grown roo could kick a dog to death

Not
It's probably just as well that he can't catch them Alan because I would imagine that even
a half grown roo could kick a dog to death
Perhaps not a half grown ones Joe, but the adult males stand taller than me (six foot plus) and are incredibly muscular. However, they are the stupidest animals on God's earth and quite placid unless provoked or attacked and The Boy is not at all aggressive with his wildlife unless they threaten his family. He is the boss of this country -but a benign ruler.

Alan

Amazing, faithful dogs, Shepherds. When I was still working we had two, a black and tan and a big all black one who came from a breed line with the Kennel Club registered name of 'Mafia.....and it suited him...
happy0151.gif

When I was away,they gave me some peace of mind about my Mrs and kids being alone.
The Shepherds had three stages of protecting their ( my) family. Any one approach and they would raise their heads and any visitor would get a quick visual check over. Next was to get up and move close to my Mrs and that was followed by rumbling growls if they detected any tension between her and any visitor.
Fortunately it never went beyond that as Salesmen, Religious callers/Recruiters or Charity collectors always seemed to find they had urgent business elsewhere...
happy0157.gif

Attachments

• happy0151.gif
    happy0151.gif
    99 bytes · Views: 13
  • happy0157.gif
    happy0157.gif
    296 bytes · Views: 14
Amazing, faithful dogs, Shepherds. When I was still working we had two, a black and tan and a big all black one who came from a breed line with the Kennel Club registered name of 'Mafia.....and it suited him...
happy0151.gif

When I was away,they gave me some peace of mind about my Mrs and kids being alone.
The Shepherds had three stages of protecting their ( my) family. Any one approach and they would raise their heads and any visitor would get a quick visual check over. Next was to get up and move close to my Mrs and that was followed by rumbling growls if they detected any tension between her and any visitor.
Fortunately it never went beyond that as Salesmen, Religious callers/Recruiters or Charity collectors always seemed to find they had urgent business elsewhere...
happy0157.gif
Many many years ago while I was in the army I had a pure white long haired alsation called Teddy because she looked just like a big fluffy teddy bear. Also a friend of mine had her trained at the German police dog training school. Anyway I had been up to the cinema to pay for my rented TV and on the way home two Germans decided that I was fair game, off came teds lead and within less that half a second she had her teeth clamped on a pudgy German face with all her 80 pounds hanging in the air. It took about 2 days to get all the blood out of her fur. Before anyone asks yes I went to court for having a dangerous dog but as soon as my police sergeant friend told the judge that my dog had been trained by the police the case was thrown out

Attachments

• happy0157.gif
    happy0157.gif
    296 bytes · Views: 15
  • happy0151.gif
    happy0151.gif
    99 bytes · Views: 15
Joe, I've wondered what mind would do in a similar situation. I've had a couple of run ins with boys where it was all shouty but didn't come to 'punching stations' and the dugs were more bemused. Not sure what they would do if there was rolling around on the ground and stuff. Hope I'll never find out, I'm far too mature and dignified :rolleyes: for that kind of caper.

Joe, I've wondered what mind would do in a similar situation. I've had a couple of run ins with boys where it was all shouty but didn't come to 'punching stations' and the dugs were more bemused. Not sure what they would do if there was rolling around on the ground and stuff. Hope I'll never find out, I'm far too mature and dignified :rolleyes: for that kind of caper.
The dogs would probably get in front of you Andy, even my little 22 pound Patterdale could get very defensive when people got a bit loud with me

Reactions: Bam
The dogs would probably get in front of you Andy, even my little 22 pound Patterdale could get very defensive when people got a bit loud with me

Like I said, they dugs didn't bother when it was just argy bargy stuff. They have been more protective when other dogs have come running up but don't seem to pick up on people. I'd rather it was that way, the dog(s) would be one less thing to worry about if it goes sideways. My missus knows that if it looks like some kind of conflict to sod off and she takes the dogs when its happened (have some issues with guys on bikes etc from time to time).

Fellas could agree more that our doggos have amazing heart and will look after us.

If I'm away from home and working and my wife is left alone in the middle of the wilderness its a comfort to know The Boy is with her. He loves her fiercely despite their occaisional squabbles over his shedding...

Back