• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Members Dogs

Yep. Sadly he was abandoned as a puppy and fended for himself so his already high prey drive is a realised & imprinted behaviour. Can't let him off the lead in all but the most secure areas as the chase over rules all obedience. Can't blame him though as its in his breed to start with which wouldn't bother me per se and would provide me with plenty of rabbit. But he would go after livestock, deer etc... Which is a little more awkward. And as said before he's to unpredictable to guarantee bringing the quarry back to me to dispatch unmolested and my own moral stance on these things is that even for a rabbit the death should be clean and suffering minimal... So sadly I can't work him though I would love to.
It's such a pity the way some people treat their animals Wolf, you have a beautiful dog who was born to run but can't be trusted. Perhaps after a while he might calm down

After lots and lots of training I was able to let him off in an area I walk regularly but and for about 12 months all was good. And then 3 times in one week he shot off the about 400m into the local estate to hunt cats. Fortunately his muzzle prevented him from catching the ones he found. But that was it for off lead on morning walks. I have a lead tied either end of a 100ft-ish of climbing rope now. He can run enough to chase his tennis ball and stretch his legs a but more but he can't get away from me as easily.

After lots and lots of training I was able to let him off in an area I walk regularly but and for about 12 months all was good. And then 3 times in one week he shot off the about 400m into the local estate to hunt cats. Fortunately his muzzle prevented him from catching the ones he found. But that was it for off lead on morning walks. I have a lead tied either end of a 100ft-ish of climbing rope now. He can run enough to chase his tennis ball and stretch his legs a but more but he can't get away from me as easily.
we have a regular long distance walk here called the Downs Link which was an old railway line but its fenced both sides, plenty of bushes for the dogs to sniff in but they cant get very far

ive got 4 english bull terriers ....

1 aged 13 (fudge, girl a rescue )
1 aged 11 (chuck , boy also a rescue)
1 aged 6 (Bella )
1 aged 10 mnths (holly, girl )

all mental ....i,ll post some pictures when i got 5 mins

Yep. Sadly he was abandoned as a puppy and fended for himself so his already high prey drive is a realised & imprinted behaviour. Can't let him off the lead in all but the most secure areas as the chase over rules all obedience. Can't blame him though as its in his breed to start with which wouldn't bother me per se and would provide me with plenty of rabbit. But he would go after livestock, deer etc... Which is a little more awkward. And as said before he's to unpredictable to guarantee bringing the quarry back to me to dispatch unmolested and my own moral stance on these things is that even for a rabbit the death should be clean and suffering minimal... So sadly I can't work him though I would love to.
He looks like a very fine dog, all lurchers have their issues, chase instinct is often a problem for lurcher owners because of the way we live these days, animal welfare and the rights of other countryside users.

Just looking back through the photos, mine are a couple of years older now and it's starting to tell. They get injured more easily, misty eyes and white muzzles. Unconditional love and good memories.

My wee sausage with her sun cream on🌞🌞
IMG_20200529_101211.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_101226.jpg
    IMG_20200529_101226.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 171
Was going to add a phot of my mutts but keep getting the message that the file is too big. :(

Was going to add a phot of my mutts but keep getting the message that the file is too big. :(
I used to get a lot of those Andy, still haven't worked out how to re size them

Two ways of reducing file size but the best way is to use a photo editor to reduce the definition of the image and create a low definition copy . Take care not to bugger up your original. The other way is to go into the settings of your camera or phone and change the definition of the photos that you are actually taking. High definition looks great and you can zoom right into them but lower definition load much faster, especially when there are a few of them

Two ways of reducing file size but the best way is to use a photo editor to reduce the definition of the image and create a low definition copy . Take care not to bugger up your original. The other way is to go into the settings of your camera or phone and change the definition of the photos that you are actually taking. High definition looks great and you can zoom right into them but lower definition load much faster, especially when there are a few of them

Seems a guddle, I've done stuff using paint in the past I think but its a bit of a faff.

Ive always loved dogs although the Boy is the first dog we've ever owned. Funny, I honestly dont see him a pet. Hes an essential part of our family. My wife and I chose against having kids so its just us and the Boy. Wouldnt have it any other way.

Even though he's still just a puppy he understands us and our moods perfectly, is utterly loyal and trustworthy. He is fearless in a tight spot. And he is the boss of our district. When I go out to work he's with me watching my back everyday. Hes a great bush dog, he knows the country well and stays away from snakes and crocs.

Enjoying my morning cuppa with him

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpg
    IMG_2045.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 151
my doppy lot would be out chasing the crocks :whistle:

an update on the dogs now :)

down to three at the moment fudge passed away a couple years ago

still got chuck he,s now 13 yrs old

bella is now 9

holly is now 3

all english bull terriers

will be on the look out for another boy after christmas :thumbsup:

Ive always loved dogs although the Boy is the first dog we've ever owned. Funny, I honestly dont see him a pet. Hes an essential part of our family. My wife and I chose against having kids so its just us and the Boy. Wouldnt have it any other way.

Even though he's still just a puppy he understands us and our moods perfectly, is utterly loyal and trustworthy. He is fearless in a tight spot. And he is the boss of our district. When I go out to work he's with me watching my back everyday. Hes a great bush dog, he knows the country well and stays away from snakes and crocs.

Enjoying my morning cuppa with him

He’s a beauty Alan 👍🏻

Back