• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Metal File Recommendation

David Day

Slightly Addicted
Hiya All,

I’ve 'acquired' many files over the years but most of them were close to the end of their functional life when they came to me and I've never actually bought one first hand!
(I do have a surplus of wooden handles because of this!!)
There are literally a million on ebay but I have a feeling that a large proportion are poor quality tat so could do with some guidance...

Can anyone recommend a decent metal file to get me started and possibly a file card to keep it in good condition?

Cheers!

The mail job is to bring some functionality back into one of my grandads old axes

A would go for the Nicholson. Used one on my old axe and my mates....a believe there called old bastured files lol... a think most files would do the same job to be honest.... but recently I’ve adopted the frame of mind.. the right tool for the job :)

Bastard refers to the fact that the file has quite a course cut. Since the bit of an axe is hardened I would use a couple of different cuts or you'll spend weeks grinding out the file marks from a bastard cut file.
They go from coarse, bastard, 2nd cut, smooth and dead smooth.
I'm this instance I'd use bastard then 2nd cut and then smooth before switching to a grindstone. It will be faster and get a better finish.

Bastard refers to the fact that the file has quite a course cut. Since the bit of an axe is hardened I would use a couple of different cuts or you'll spend weeks grinding out the file marks from a bastard cut file.
They go from coarse, bastard, 2nd cut, smooth and dead smooth.
I'm this instance I'd use bastard then 2nd cut and then smooth before switching to a grindstone. It will be faster and get a better finish.

Always wondered why they was called bastard files.
(Thread drift ) The first knife I tried to make was from such a file. Man it was hard. Couldn’t get a drill bit through it lol. Should have fired it first lol.

It takes some doing to get even a small piece of steel white hot enough to work it properly. I used a heat gun blowing onto charcoal in my shed woodturning stove but I made sure to line it with firebricks first.

I just want to clarify that when I mentioned a grindstone I didn't mean something like a bench grinder or angle grinder. They rotate too fast and will overheat the edge of the axe bit and destroy its temper. What I use at home is a set of graduated grindstones followed by wet and dry paper attached to a flat surface with double sided tape if I want a perfect polished finish. (I sell the occasional expensive knife and it pays to make them look their best)

Back