• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Metal Water Containers

G1ZmO

Site Manager
Staff member
We used a white plastic 25L water container last year for the summer meet but it wasn't really ideal in terms of weight and probably could be affected by bacterial growth inside due to sunlight.
So, our thought this year is to get 2x 10L metal containers but want to ensure that no contaminants from the inside of it can leech into the water.
Most metal containers are specifically designed for fuel and have an internal coating. Do you think I can assume that this would be fine for drinking water? (I'm less concerned about this than Mel btw and I've been asked to avoid plastic :) )

Ta muchly folks

Some options:
This from B&Q (£18) says "Compatible with petrol & diesel.","Internal coating to prevent rusting" - But doesn't say what the coating is or whether it's safe for drinking water.

eBay £17

or this one which details the internal coating as "lined with petrol resistant alkyd-ammonia based paint"

I've not had any problems with plastic, I use dark blue 25L containers. If its only for a week I can't see any issues, especially if you keep them somewhere dark(ish).

@Bam the reason for avoiding plastic is not due to contaminants but because my better half thinks we should minimise the use of plastic for environmental reasons. (a bit late now IMHO! lol)

The MOD black plastic jerry cans are good. There is also an Aussie brand called Pro-Quip that are metal but made only for water. Tough and stackable, they're expensive and as rare as hen's teeth over here.

If you already own a container then using it will not add to the plastic problem will it.

If your confident your local authority recycles your plastic waste then
Ice Vale Spring Water Still 5 Litre | £1 Value | Iceland Foods is pretty good. I've reused this type of container in the past, after use I fill with water and a drop of bleach to keep it sterile. If anyone here believes refilling water bottles will give you cancer then pop round and I'll sell you some bubbles for spirit levels ;)

IIRC they were pulled off the market for a while as independent tests failed them as they did not remove viruses as the makers claimed but it looks like they solved that issue as they are back on the market.

I know you said metal, but how about a couple of these? they interlock and hold 15L so would be easier to handle.

If you're concerned with water safety, maybe add some of these? Cheap as chips and have a good shelf life.

Yes, I've done a similar thing with a plastic bottle and metal flask before Harry. It works well. Thanks.

We decided in the end to go for these 2 plastic carriers.

20L - 20L BLACK PLASTIC FUEL JERRY CAN PETROL DIESEL WATER 20 LITRE WITH SPOUT NEW | eBay
10L - Ridgemonkey Heavy Duty Water Carrier | Angling Direct

2019-07-20 11.45.39.jpg

I like the ridgemonkey bottle, I've seen them in 15 litre before, big enough for a base camp but still light enough to move when full.
I always thought it was a pity they didn't use a handle like a Jerry can so it could be carried between two people over longer distances.

We used the Ridgemonkey last week. Sitting with the tap at the bottom the flow is good for a few seconds but then obviously you need to loosen the larger cap to let the air in.
The tap is a wee bit tight but all in all it's a good container.

Back