• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Meths pot holder

Got a question from Pete, has anyone tried using the Trangia gel burner in it ????

No, I haven't even had chance to use it :(

I've been lucky enough to use mine a few times but just the meths pots, I've never used the gel ones. Brambling has put me onto the tins of gel which are pretty handy though.

The tins of gel fuel as bought are too big. I'm waiting to run out of shoe polish so that I can use the tin instead of forking out £7 for the Trangia tin:eek:

However in the interest of science I have had a wee play. Here are my findings.

I made a cup out of tinfoil to fit in the pot holder, decanted some gel fuel into it and put a cup of water on to boil.

20191001_115331.jpg

However, the water did not boil at this distance.

So I made another cup to fit the upper tier

20191001_115926.jpg

And Bingo! We had boiling water.

So from this terribly unscientific test, I would say that it would be difficult to get water boiling in a sensible time from the base of the pot holder because of the distance, so I think there might be a similar problem with the Trangia Gel tin. I have found that the optimum distance of about 2 inches between the gel and pot.

The tins of gel fuel as bought are too big. I'm waiting to run out of shoe polish so that I can use the tin instead of forking out £7 for the Trangia tin:eek:

However in the interest of science I have had a wee play. Here are my findings.

I made a cup out of tinfoil to fit in the pot holder, decanted some gel fuel into it and put a cup of water on to boil.

View attachment 19272

However, the water did not boil at this distance.

So I made another cup to fit the upper tier

View attachment 19273

And Bingo! We had boiling water.

So from this terribly unscientific test, I would say that it would be difficult to get water boiling in a sensible time from the base of the pot holder because of the distance, so I think there might be a similar problem with the Trangia Gel tin. I have found that the optimum distance of about 2 inches between the gel and pot.

Thanks missus, he was more concerned about the stands having rigidity with the pot in it I think. Its always good to have a play though. :)

Ah, gotcha. If I can find the shoe polish (still in a box somewhere!) I'll pop it in and see how it stands up.

Reactions: Bam
Back