• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mild steel hot plate

ive used a wok for a few years now but im leaning towards a stir fry pan now as it has a wider flatter base for more heat transfer ideal for when cooking over a fire :thumbsup:
I only use Chinese carbon steel flat bottomed woks when frying cos I don't have gas at home. I've two sizes - an old full size for family meals and a small one person one that I use now that I'm on my own.

For frying rice you really need an original wobbly type wok if cooking on carbon steel otherwise it'll stick like glue. You've got to remember the Chinese cook at an incredible high heat which is quite frankly way beyond what most of us have available.

Fortunately, I worked as a Chinese take-away delivery driver many years ago and picked up a few of their tricks when they were cooking. My favourite has always been chicken saté or a particular cheap and tasty sort of Chinese saté gumbo with noodles - great for cooking in a full sized wok to feed lots of hungry folks in a hurry.

The real secret is in what pastes and sauces to buy then it's just a case of experimenting with what amounts to use.

For years I've been buying 5kg curry sauce tubs from Chinese suppliers online that last for years, a table spoonful does me a cracking curry sauce in ten mins - poured over some deep fried frozen chips is just exactly what you'd get from your local Chinese take-away.

Getting hungry...:tea: :p

Still haven't had a chance to use the fold up mild steel barby-type gadget yet, weathers been atrocious plus I'm old an' knackered. :confused:

But I'm quite sure it'll suit every job that I need cos it's solid as a, well solid thing. I also like the ease of which the top cooking/grill plate can be removed in a second and then the open firebox can be used as an open fire to cook on with a steel wok or just as a wee toasty and safe campfire. Wish something like it was around when I 30 years younger...

Back