• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mild steel hot plate

Ark79

Site Manager
Just looking for some info lads/ladies :D

What’s the thoughts on cooking on mild steel . I know eventually it will rust if not oiled. Has anyone use this material to cook with ???

Just looking for some info lads/ladies :D

What’s the thoughts on cooking on mild steel . I know eventually it will rust if not oiled. Has anyone use this material to cook with ???
I think it might warp of buckle after a while Mark,. Ther ammount of warp very much depends on how much heat you have under it

Nice idea Mark......but I reckon a normal frying pan will do everything you would need.....defo worth going for non stick.
Didnt you buy a fire pit a while ago?

I used mild steel grills a few years back when doing big bbqs for the rugby club. As long as you leave some grease on it after cooking it keeps ok. Always used to run it hot for a while to sterilise before cooking next batch. Nobody died as far as I know!

Was just thinking an all in one rather that 3 items:thumbsup:

@1 shot willie
A think your right am best with a frying pan mate :D
Oh my well used and not really looked after fire pit :rolleyes: I may need a new one mate :rofl:

@Matt
Mite get one of them also for the fishing trips :thumbsup:

@divebuddy
“As far as I know” :rofl:
The problem with me is I tend to forget things like keeping oil on it! Lol so the more I read all the post the more I’m steering away from this idea:D

For the re-enactment we have a mild steel frying pan around 15" across and have used it for several years over a wood fire . It has warped a bit and has had the occasional patch of rust but as said keep it greased or oiled and it is fine.

Sod it Mark......give it a go mate.....nothing ventured :thumbsup:

No bill a think your right mate :thumbsup: frying pan would do the same. I will get a new fire pit (same as the one I have ) and take better care of it :D that yellow stone pit is cracking :thumbsup:

I see a lot of thick iron or steel plates at antique fairs, they're used for cooking on at but I've never used one and have no idea what techniques to use or what to cook on them.
They are usually a disc about 30-45 cm diameter and 12 mm thick with a handle projecting on the edge.

After clicking the link Ark, and liking what I saw, I decided to buy one - should be here this coming week. :cool:

I watched the video of the bloke cooking on it and the simplicity of it really appealed to me. I particularly like the easily portability & ideal size of it, especially if cooking for a few folk, the stability, the room to use two pans/pots on it and the large fuel box.

Think I'd try it with some small branches of Ash wood first as I've two fairly mature Ash trees in my garden. I'm a great fan of cooking with woks - which I reckon it would be ideal for cooking on (can't do so in the hoose anymore cause of the silly glass topped cooker). :rolleyes:

If it melts or warps I'll let you know - then you can point at me and laugh. :D

Back