• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

MINI SERIES: Affordable & Awesome Bushcraft Knives

Rathwulven BC

Extremely Talkative
Hi folks

got another series coming, here is episode number one. The entire series will be about knives that have proven themselves to be irreplaceable companions throughout the last years - but at the same time are affordable. The series is predominantly designed for beginners but maybe one of the more seasoned woods(wo)men here does profit from this series, too.

As usual, please feel free to add your remarks and please consider supporting the channel by subscribing and/or sharing the clips. All of this is part of my own project, since last year the seminars are picking up and I want to make this idea of an outdoor school a real thing. So all bits help. Thanks in advance, y' all :)

I agree in nearly every point.

In my opinion the saw is to small to make fire wood. This size I usually easily can brake with the boot.

You forgot to say, that the scissors are mainly used to cut the finger nails and toe nails on longer trekking tours.

Hi folks

got another series coming, here is episode number one. The entire series will be about knives that have proven themselves to be irreplaceable companions throughout the last years - but at the same time are affordable. The series is predominantly designed for beginners but maybe one of the more seasoned woods(wo)men here does profit from this series, too.

As usual, please feel free to add your remarks and please consider supporting the channel by subscribing and/or sharing the clips. All of this is part of my own project, since last year the seminars are picking up and I want to make this idea of an outdoor school a real thing. So all bits help. Thanks in advance, y' all :)

I'll give it a go mate, thanks for sharing.

Thanks for a brilliant video, a 'decent' knife is top of my list of bushcrafting tools now that I'm back into the outdoors world!
An yes, I did hit the subscribe button!

I have been looking into some of the products of Anglo Arms, if you ignore all the blades that are obviously designed to intimidate there are some rather nice bushcraft or survival knives...and they're really cheap!

In my opinion the "Victorinox Compact" is the best knife for trekking and traveling.
But the cheaper and a bit heavier "Victorinox Climber" is very well too.

But just for bushcraft overnighters I recommend the Opinel Carbone No8.

According to the British law the Opinel Carbone No7 is the better option, because if you lock this knife in closed position and open it with pliers the locking ring will fly away, and if you shorten before the tip just a little bit with a file it becomes legal to carry in UK.

The ring you can easily press back without any tools if needed.

;0)

In my opinion the "Victorinox Compact" is the best knife for trekking and traveling.
But the cheaper and a bit heavier "Victorinox Climber" is very well too.

But just for bushcraft overnighters I recommend the Opinel Carbone No8.

According to the British law the Opinel Carbone No7 is the better option, because if you lock this knife in closed position and open it with pliers the locking ring will fly away, and if you shorten before the tip just a little bit with a file it becomes legal to carry in UK.

The ring you can easily press back without any tools if needed.

;0)
I would always leave the ring in place just for the added safety feature of locking the blade closed as well as locking it in an open position. There could be an argument that this ring is necessary for the users safety as these Opinel knives age and the blades get looser.
If the knife is confiscated then so be it, it's cheap enough not to worry too much. I would however refuse a police caution and let them try to prove that it was intended as an offensive weapon and not just a necessary tool.

It costs round about 10 ā‚¬.

And even with locking ring this small knife in my opinion really isn't a weapon.
It's a small folding kitchen knife, that's it!

Constructed for farmers and used by campers all over the world.

Hi all, I have been offline for a while now but the series has developed quite a lot - the next three episodes have been released in the meantime. For those who do not follow the channel, here are the links:

Episode 2:

Episode 3:

Episode 4:

Enjoy!

Reactions: Bam
Back