• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Mini Weather station

Gulfalan67

Very Addicted
Our place is the graveyard of weather stations.

About ten years ago they started producing mini consumer weather stations, much cheaper than the old scientific ones.

The old ones lasted years and years. The new ones, manufactured in China, less so.

I'm not sure why but after about 18 months they start to fail, usually one sensor at a time. Our last weather station has limped on for about two years until all that seemed to work was indoor temperature.

So a couple of days ago I bought a new one priced at just $200 and installed it on the roof yesterday. So far so good. Let's see how long this one lasts šŸ¤£

20221113_084908.jpg

20221113_085031.jpg

Alan

Our place is the graveyard of weather stations.

About ten years ago they started producing mini consumer weather stations, much cheaper than the old scientific ones.

The old ones lasted years and years. The new ones, manufactured in China, less so.

I'm not sure why but after about 18 months they start to fail, usually one sensor at a time. Our last weather station has limped on for about two years until all that seemed to work was indoor temperature.

So a couple of days ago I bought a new one priced at just $200 and installed it on the roof yesterday. So far so good. Let's see how long this one lasts šŸ¤£

View attachment 116426

View attachment 116427

Alan
Mine is built into my phone Alan plus I have a small hand held one although I wouldn't guarantee the accuracy of either system. With our climate the accuracy is not that important. I guess that in your neck of the woods the accuracy is very important

Mike.

There was a similar model to this one that connected to WIFI for $300. Personally I prefer they don't.

Joe, yes we use weather data for management of air-conditioning and water supplies (remember we are off grid solar and depend solely on rain water managed through multiple tanks). Temp, humidity wind velocity and direction is also essential during the fire season. We light controlled fires and fight wildfires many times every year.

Also we operate an airstrip here, so barometric pressure, temp and wind direction are important for that too.

I find these new cheap home weather stations are as accurate as the old ones and the data is much more conveniently displayed. However, as stated above, build quality and durability is poor

Alan

Last edited:
Back