• Welcome to The Bushcraft Forum

You are currently viewing the site as a guest and some content may not be available to you.

Registration is quick and easy and will give you full access to the site and allow you to ask questions or make comments and join in on the conversation. If you would like to join then please Register

Modifying the LK35

bigdtree27

Quite Talkative
Hi all,

I'm only new as a member to the forum, but have been reading posts as a guest for some time now.

I am going through latest journey of modding an LK35.

I hope this will be an interesting one.

I will be changing the frame to an aluminium frame that will allow for more space and lighter weight (if we bushcrafters believe in this) 😉

Attachments

• IMG_20220210_154412.jpg
    IMG_20220210_154412.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_20220210_154354.jpg
    IMG_20220210_154354.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 93
Hi BT27 :)

The Mods to the pack are looking good.....nice to personalise your kit to suit your particular needs and wants.
Happy you have started posting and hope you get stuck in with more input :thumbsup:

Could you please take a minute to introduce yourself in the "Welcomes Section" tell us a little about your self and your interests.
This also gives members here the chance to welcome you to the forum :thumbsup::)

Hi all,

I'm only new as a member to the forum, but have been reading posts as a guest for some time now.

I am going through latest journey of modding an LK35.

I hope this will be an interesting one.

I will be changing the frame to an aluminium frame that will allow for more space and lighter weight (if we bushcrafters believe in this) 😉
Hello BT27,

Nice of you to join us.

What have you got in mind re the frame mod - just a change to ali or bespoke to your size?

Last edited:
Got a Cobmaster aluminium frame. It fits perfectly and only set me back £20 on fleabay, pics to follow

Attachments

• IMG_20220210_154251.jpg
    IMG_20220210_154251.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_20220210_154242.jpg
    IMG_20220210_154242.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_20220210_154337.jpg
    IMG_20220210_154337.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 87
Got a Cobmaster aluminium frame. It fits perfectly and only set me back £20 on fleabay, pics to follow
That pack looks identical to one which I used waaaay back in the ‘70s!

When you say it fits perfectly do you mean it fits the LK35 pack or fits your back measurement?

So the LK35 pack fits the Cobmaster frame on the wider loops at top of the pack.
I'll be switching over the back spacers (pads), shoulder straps, hip belt and webbing pouches later this evening.

So nearly finished last night. Still have to move over webbing pouches and make a handle for the top.

The shelf area at the bottom is great, and just what I need for carrying my hot tent stove and Pomoly Stove Hut 70 (that tent is a whole other thread in itself).

I do have an LK70 too, but found them really bulky and a bit too heavy on the base weight.

I'll try this new mod
IMG_20220211_083003.jpg
IMG_20220211_082927.jpg
out in two weeks and report back.

Attachments

• IMG_20220211_082944.jpg
    IMG_20220211_082944.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 79
Looking good so far Derek....good sized shelf to securely fit your tent :thumbsup:........look forward to your report and thoughts after you try it out.......plenty of pictures please;)

Also looking forward to seeing and hearing about the "Pomoly Stove Hut" :)

What is the weight when you’re fully packed? For instance for a weekender?
I'd say about the same as a Nimitz Class aircraft carrier 😉
Not too sure, I'll be packing up fully next week, the hot tent is not something I have used before, I usually hammock.
For winter camping I would only tend to walk 15-30 mins max

Pretty sure "Woodlander" was doing some work on his lk35.....sure he will be along shortly....anyway....wish I could get the hang of lightweight camping or even days out....currently using dutch army bergen and love it👌View attachment 41594
Nice, I'll have to check out that bag. Lightweight usually means not hard wearing though. I use that stuff on multi-day hikes. But nothing like the heavy stuff when eating steak and having a few bevvies in the woods

Aye the dutch army bergen is a great bit of kit,unlike the brit one it's adjustable for your back and well padded,I have the 80 litre one got it recently from Goarmy in glasgow cost £60 ,nearly new condition and sure if you subscribe you get 10% off first purchase....or say Ghostman recommended you.....getting ready for tonight's forest adventure🌲
20220212_140843.jpg
20220212_140811.jpg

Sitting here jealous I went to the battle cruiser instead of the great outdoors. It's a seriously nice backpa for 60 squid 🦑

This LK 35 (just love this pack....why?) mod with the frame is exactly the mod. (piccies elsewhere on site) I did with mine, and it saves a bit of weight but allows more stuff to be carried under the pack. Also allows the pack height relative to ones back, to be varied if required. I also put two thick webbing straps on the pack's sides, to allow a selection of side pockets to be attached if needed, but often prefer the pack without them?
Without sleeping bag and water, the pack weight is now 9 kg with some old school surplus kit and some newer stuff for a 1 night load out (14kg all up)
I have a v similar hip belt (the best mod) and original shoulder straps too, but with the addition of some velcro-on pads from Military 1st. Really, really comfy if the back length is right.........

Last edited:
Aye the dutch army bergen is a great bit of kit,unlike the brit one it's adjustable for your back and well padded,I have the 80 litre one got it recently from Goarmy in glasgow cost £60 ,nearly new condition and sure if you subscribe you get 10% off first purchase....or say Ghostman recommended you.....getting ready for tonight's forest adventure🌲View attachment 41596View attachment 41597

The "Sting"? bloody lovely thing. Heavy.........
All serious packs should have adjustable backs, makes such a difference! :thumbsup:

This LK 35 (just love this pack....why?) mod with the frame is exactly the mod. (piccies elsewhere on site) I did with mine, and it saves a bit of weight but allows more stuff to be carried under the pack. Also allows the pack height relative to ones back, to be varied if required. I also put two thick webbing straps on the pack's sides, to allow a selection of side pockets to be attached if needed, but often prefer the pack without them?
Without sleeping bag and water, the pack weight is now 9 kg with some old school surplus kit and some newer stuff for a 1 night load out (14kg all up)
I have a v similar hip belt (the best mod) and original shoulder straps too, but with the addition of some velcro-on pads from Military 1st. Really, really comfy if the back length is right.........
No way, glad to hear someone has similar. I took a chance not knowing if the Cobmaster would fit, but it does. It's a great mod to an aluminium frame. Cheap, effective, comfortable

• Love
Reactions: lol
Back